Would the Rizutto ever make a 'comeback'?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
monstro

Would the Rizutto ever make a 'comeback'?

Post by monstro »

So,i'm not really a Switchblade aficionado, but whilst swinguards seem fairly readily available, it's apparent actual Rizuttos haven't been produced in quite some time.

Is there any particular reason?

If there was enough demand, could manufacturers be coaxed into making them?

I would really really like a button open/button close Rizzy... but i'm not quite in a position to get one on the aftermarket because they're slightly...controrversial in my part of the world.

If they were produced in numbers however, i'd have little trouble getting one.

Thoughts, anyone?
BTB0923

Re: Would the Rizutto ever make a 'comeback'?

Post by BTB0923 »

One would think that the companies over in Asia that are producing those Microtech clones wouldn't have any trouble at all creating some Rizzuto-styled knives for cheap. I bet if they'd create a batwing-guarded variation and market them to sell for a pricepoint below $50, they'd be "flyin' off the shelves". I already mentioned this in another thread, but some of the old 8.5" Korean clones came up for sale on the Bladeplay website a few months ago...and sold out in a matter of hours.
Click here for the most recently updated list of movies covered in our "movie switchblades" thread...
http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php ... 08#p216408
swinguard1

Post by swinguard1 »

I'd rather see a heavier duty version of a Rizzuto made. Thus far, the only thing that comes close for me is the AGA Batwing.

Let's face it, the Rizzys have always been light duty, un-practical for carry pieces. BUT, they sure are cool looking, and collectible. There will always be a market for them, just like to see a "beefier" version.
BTB0923

Post by BTB0923 »

swinguard1 wrote:I'd rather see a heavier duty version of a Rizzuto made. Thus far, the only thing that comes close for me is the AGA Batwing.

Let's face it, the Rizzys have always been light duty, un-practical for carry pieces. BUT, they sure are cool looking, and collectible. There will always be a market for them, just like to see a "beefier" version.
I couldn't agree more! I think it would be wonderful if we saw one or more of the Italian makers re-introduce the original batwing-guarded lockbacks that the Japanese decided to clone. I have one, and I can tell you they are the best of both worlds....Italian build-quality with Rizzuto style. The only thing I might change would be to upgrade the scale material from plastic to a more durable material (i.e. horn maybe)...but the scales would have to remain flush with the bolsters to maintain the Rizzuto look. The white-scaled knife in this pic is one of the original Italians that I'm referring to (these two knives are from Gunner's collection, and this is Gunner's picture, I'm just borrowing it for this post)...

Click here for the most recently updated list of movies covered in our "movie switchblades" thread...
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

swinguard1 wrote:I'd rather see a heavier duty version of a Rizzuto made,just like to see a "beefier" version.
My thoughts exactly. Not being a huge fan of the Rizz,I believe even China could make a heavier version with better-built mechanisms and more solid liners and bolsters.
However this may not be what the true Rizz folk would want so we kind of come full circle....
BTB0923

Post by BTB0923 »

Viking45 wrote:
swinguard1 wrote:I'd rather see a heavier duty version of a Rizzuto made,just like to see a "beefier" version.
My thoughts exactly. Not being a huge fan of the Rizz,I believe even China could make a heavier version with better-built mechanisms and more solid liners and bolsters.
However this may not be what the true Rizz folk would want so we kind of come full circle....
You guys really need to get your hands on the swedge-bladed Rizzutos like the ones pictured above. They make the standard Rizzies feel like toys.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

BTB0923 wrote:You guys really need to get your hands on the swedge-bladed Rizzutos like the ones pictured above. They make the standard Rizzies feel like toys.
I must admit that white one is bad-*ss! I really like it. 8)
BTB0923

Post by BTB0923 »

They have nickel silver bolsters and guards too (at least mine does). A small step up from pot-metal, no? :lol:
krakenten

Post by krakenten »

What the heck is wrong with the Italian swing guard?

The Rizzy was made to be cheap and quick to produce, sucker bait for the tourist trade.

Put a bail on the Italian knife, since everybody seems to want one. The Chinese will never make anything we ask for, they like the outlandish designs they favor, or copies of current designs. They could copy old types that are out of production, but they won't.

I have my own ideas on why, but I'll keep them to myself.
Life has no value, Death has a price
BTB0923

Post by BTB0923 »

krakenten wrote:What the heck is wrong with the Italian swing guard? ...Put a bail on the Italian knife, since everybody seems to want one.
Did you read the whole thread? There's nothing "wrong" with the Italian style swing guards (btw, the original Rizzutos WERE Italian swing guards). But I have to say, you're generalizing the design. There are many other differences than just having or not having a bail. Look at the picture of the two knives above. Imagine if you removed the bails...would those knives then look to you like traditional Italian swing guards??? To me, they would not. The subtle differences in design are why I like Rizzutos better visually. Some differences...

1. Like you said, Rizzutos have bails, but I'd still like the way they look better than traditional Italians even if they didn't have bails.

2. The shape of the guards. Rizzutos have much cooler looking guards in my opinion. I like traditional Italian-style guards, but I like Rizzuto guards better.

3. This is big...the scales. Not the material of the scales, but the design. A Rizzuto has scales that are flush with the bolsters which COMPLETELY changes the look of the knife. Rizzutos are also more rounded and sexy while most of the Italian scales are very boxy.

It's all just a matter of opinion, but you need to respect the fact that it's not as simple as just throwing a bail on a traditional swing guard. As a Rizzuto collector I find it a bit insulting that you would think it was that simple to be honest.
krakenten wrote:The Rizzy was made to be cheap and quick to produce, sucker bait for the tourist trade.
The Japanese clones were, but the original Italian version wasn't....and I'm talking about re-producing the original Italian.
swinguard1

Post by swinguard1 »

I really like that white one as well! :)
jmack1944

Post by jmack1944 »

BTB0923 wrote:
3. This is big...the scales. Not the material of the scales, but the design. A Rizzuto has scales that are flush with the bolsters which COMPLETELY changes the look of the knife. Rizzutos are also more rounded and sexy while most of the Italian scales are very boxy.
Agree with you 110%!!!
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

IF the Chinese watch the auctions, they would be stunned by the prices 10 year old $10 knives, sell for :shock: :shock:
They would be crazy not to "clone them" and wholesale then for $5-$7 [volume sales], Dealers would quickly, sell them for $75 :lol:
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Gunner is missing all, the FUN :(
ss_3124

Post by ss_3124 »

I'm sure an Italian builder could produce a run of them, they've built knives for this forum in the past and have agreed to do it again.

I will ask Frank Beltrame's if someone would PM me his email address? When I tried to contact him via his website it doesn't appear to work, it just returns a blank screen.