New Reference Book - Canceled

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Milu

Re: New Reference Book - Canceled

Post by Milu »

Were they making or assembling?
"se me burlé, me fico un cento e vinti in tel stomego"
Goldoni: La donna di Garbo, 1753
john

Post by john »

Milu wrote:I'm working on a book. The big problem is the price is going to be stupid high because of the limited potentiial sales or a total loss if sold at a realistic price.
Hi Milo,
To keep your production cost down try to:
Use a paper that will reproduce color well ask you printer or local paper company or go on the web and find paper companies and ask for samples with four color printing; you don't have to spend a lot on money on paper. Keep the book small 5x7 or get full size sheet and rule it up see how many pages you can get on it, leave a one inch boarder all around remember that a 5x7 page is really 10X7 on press after it's folded you have your 5x7. Print volumes like vol 1, vol 2, etc. Find a printer who can print on demand, print a small number of books and sell them as you get orders and when you run out print more. Don't tie up your cash on big press run. Design the book yourself. Work with an honest printer. There are a lot of rip offs out there. I was a profession print buyer for many years. PM me with questions, I might be able to help.
John
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
Milu

Post by Milu »

Thanks, I was already thinking POD. and selling via Amazon. I'll contact you further down the road. At the moment I'm working on photos.
wild zebra

Post by wild zebra »

Thanks, I was already thinking POD. and selling via Amazon
We provide that service. Let me know in the future. The least we could do is have you send me the files and print a proof copy and see if it met your standards. What format are you looking into for binding? Will this be a spiral bound or perfect bound? Like I said earlier we have some limitations, but where we lack there we provide on demand and very small runs and do all the selling and shipping at a fair price. We are located in Ohio. Not pushing the subject just letting you know you have people here to help. john6553 hits on some good points. Take care.
Milu

Post by Milu »

That is very good of you. For this book I was planning hardback. However,I'm also working on some other book projects so all help and info is really appreciated. Lets keep in contact.
Knifeman

Post by Knifeman »

I can't afford the book, I am planning to do hardbound for this. I will barrow my friend's book.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

whippersnapper wrote:99.999% are folks that joined to buy a single knife or to find out about gramps old switch they found in a drawer.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Leverlock switchblades
BTB0923

Post by BTB0923 »

Knifeman wrote:I can't afford the book, I am planning to do hardbound for this. I will barrow my friend's book.
What in the hell are you talking about?

Fellas, check out this guys signature line...I think he's a spammer incognito. :lol:

Knifeman, nobody wants to buy your ninja books you douchenozzle.
Click here for the most recently updated list of movies covered in our "movie switchblades" thread...
http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php ... 08#p216408
john

Post by john »

Hello Everyone,
I recently purchased Switchblades of Italy and Antique American Switchblades what other books do recommend? I'd like to hear what books are good and which ones are not so good.
Thank you,
John
John

john

Post by john »

Hello Everyone,
I recently purchased Switchblades of Italy and Antique American Switchblades; what other books do you knife experts recommend? I'm a beginner and I'd like to hear what books are good and which ones are not so good. I can make a list of books similar to the list of websites that we have here of good sellers? If people send me a list I'll try to put the list together and post it.
Thank you,
John
John

Bama

Post by Bama »

How about doing some books as e-books. You could sell CD's or sent as a email doc.
shursnap

Post by shursnap »

Hi Guys, Sorry I didn't find this post sooner, but haven't been online as much as I'd like to. Just wanted to chime in on the success of books on this subject. As many of you know I am the author of Antique American Switchblades which was published by Krause in 2004. I can tell you that the book definitely did not make me rich, but I knew that going into the project. I can also tell you that it was, and still is, Very Successful based on the fact that it was aimed at a pretty narrow buyer's market. Since it came out the book has sold 5000 copies worldwide, and I've sold more in the past year than I did in the first year the book was out!! I'm not bragging, but I am very thankful! I've actually been averaging around 30 books a month for nearly a year now and I think that's fantastic! Thanks to all of you who have supported me and the book!

I think a big reason for my success is that my book includes values for the knives, which collectors really need, especially new collectors. Even if the values are not perfect, which they never could be since everyone has their own opinions, collectors need some sort of a price guide. I made my price guide based on several years of accumulating sales data as well as factoring in Rarity and Collector Interest to the best of my ability. I have certainly received some criticism for some of the pricing, but the Vast majority of the comments I have received have been praise and thanks for a job well done. I've been told the prices are too high, but more often that they are too low in general. For those who think the prices are too high I have a lot of proof that they're really not, in data collected since the book came out, of hundreds of knives selling for prices higher than what I have in the book. For those who say that they are too low, I agree that several of them are low, but for the most part the book has proven over time to be a dependable guideline. Even six years later I feel that the prices are, for the most part, pretty accurate as long as condition is factored in. I would highly recommend to anyone considering writing a book on automatic knives, especially Foreign ones, to include a price guide in their book! I've had dozens of collectors ask me if I know of any price references for Foreign automatics over the past few years and I know there is a need for it.

I have been working on a second book on Antique American Switchblades with updated information and pricing as well as 400+ knives/variations that weren't included in the first book. I'll probably have to self-publish this one and it may take awhile, but I am committed to completing it. I don't expect the second book to be anywhere near as successful as the first, but that's not the reason that I wanted to write books about these knives. I really love these knives and the history that they represent and I wanted to make a contribution to the hobby that I so enjoy! I may not make any money on the 2nd book, but that's OK as long as I can get the information out there for my fellow collectors to use and enjoy! I've been working hard to promote the hobby and to bring as many new collectors into it as I possibly can, with quite a bit of success and I hope that all of you will try to do the same. The future of our hobby depends on us!

Thanks again to all of you who have supported me in the past and to those who may support me with my next book! I look forward to getting to meet more of you and I'm always happy to answer questions and provide free appraisals. If you know of anyone who might want to buy a copy of my book, or if you want to buy any as gifts for Christmas, they are available through my website. I'd also like to extend an offer of help to anyone writing, or considering writing a book on knife collecting. I've helped two other authors with their books and would be happy to help anyone else with their projects if I can be of assistance. :!: :wink:
Life is not a destination.... but a journey. Don't forget to stop and smell the Roses as you go!

(Couldn't hurt to pick up a few switchblades along the way too! ) ;-)
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Mark, good luck with the second book and I'll be looking forward to it. 8)
SRD115

Post by SRD115 »

Bottom line, price guide or not, It's a damn fine book!!! I'm into mine constantly looking up info on knives I see on the auction site. Sign me up for volume 2, and for that matter volumes 3 and 4 if you ever take it that far.