Mikov fans...What do you think of the new Microtechs?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Jeff

Re: Mikov fans...What do you think of the new Microtechs?

Post by Jeff »

Thinking past these unexpected cheap shots by Microtech I wonder:
1 - Are patents in the Czech Republic (and all other countries) protected from counterfeiting by US companies? I do understand Mikov possibly held no patent on the design I'm just curious.
And 2 - If Mikov does apply to patent the design is it already taken now by Microtech?
Even further--- Will Microtech stoop even lower and go after Mikov to stop producing "clones" of a now Microtech patented design?
One of the reasons this move bothered me is because I know that David has a few Mtechs from the USA and I believe he was collecting them for his hobby and that he is a great outgoing guy.
He must be pretty p!$$ed at them right about now.
To me they look like much nicer knives than a Mikov and the materials are noticably better just from pics. I wish Mikov made something half as nice as that, but we can all see it was a tasteless move and a rip off from Microtech.
Leverlock switchblades
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Short answer about patents - :lol:
Long answer is much more complicated but [basically] "boils down to" :lol:
[The Czech Republic was, for years, [reluctantly and nominally] a part of the Soviet block, which did not honor ANY patents] :idea:
jmack1944

Post by jmack1944 »

This MT fan just became a fan of Mikov! Watched the Youtube video and told myself I just had to have one of those Mikov's with the dagger blade. It is on its way. F**k of a lot cheaper than MT and look really cool. I now agree about MT ripping off D***d ( don't know if I can use his real name on the forum). Just think. i can now buy about 15 Mikovs for the price of 1 MT Cobra. Here's my soon to be new baby:
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Mikovs are awesome. Most of these knife guys on the forum have customized plenty. The basic ABS scaled black model w/ logo is cool, but have you seen what ECS or StrayDog make?
Heres a handful of different customs I had last year.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5nRJ2nWArk
Leverlock switchblades
jmack1944

Post by jmack1944 »

I have a question about the price of the Mikov: why are they so inexpensive? I don't have mine yet but I know from the videos I have seen that I'm really gonna like it and will probably buy more. Where and how do I get them customized? Sorry for the newbie questions but if I don't ask I won't know. I think the dagger blade of a Mikov is the best looking blade I've ever seen. What grade steel are the blades or do they come in different grades?
tr4252
Special Agent Oy Oy Seven

Post by tr4252 »

jmack, I could be wrong, but I think part of it is the price of labor and capital investment over there. Also, the Mikov is a robust design and like the Kalashnikovs (I mean the firearms) can be made and serviced with just a bent nail and a potato (gross exageration).
David/Tanto (see good ones list) sometimes offers limited editions with filework and/or different scale materials, and kits are available also; some of the guys here have built unique ones, and we had a Mikov forum knife with horn scales and filework a few years back. Mikovknives offers blades in damascus and RWL-34 as well as the standard 440A. They have quite a variety of types, but none with exotic names like OSS Cobra, CIA Flying Squirrel, OSHA Rabid Monkey, or anything like that.

Tom
Is it...Tomorrow....Or just the end of time?
jmack1944

Post by jmack1944 »

tr4252 wrote:jmack, I could be wrong, but I think part of it is the price of labor and capital investment over there. Also, the Mikov is a robust design and like the Kalashnikovs (I mean the firearms) can be made and serviced with just a bent nail and a potato (gross exageration).
David/Tanto (see good ones list) sometimes offers limited editions with filework and/or different scale materials, and kits are available also; some of the guys here have built unique ones, and we had a Mikov forum knife with horn scales and filework a few years back. Mikovknives offers blades in damascus and RWL-34 as well as the standard 440A. They have quite a variety of types, but none with exotic names like OSS Cobra, CIA Flying Squirrel, OSHA Rabid Monkey, or anything like that.

Tom
Thanks Mr Tom. I checked out David's site and took a look at all of his products. Even the most expensive models are a great buy.
wild zebra

Post by wild zebra »

You will not be disappointed, but buy some extra springs just in case. These are large knives I was surprised when I got mine. It was my first kit and the reason why I came to this forum here is mine. http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11951 I've since fixed the pivot pin and it's one of my favorites I always take it camping. I prefer the utility (clip point) blade.
jmack1944

Post by jmack1944 »

Wahooooo!!! My Mikov came today. What a great knife. I am hooked. What great service. Thanks a lot David for the quick delivery. :D :D
Wild Zebra you are right about ordering extra springs. I'll probably go thru a set tonight just playing with it. I have quite a few autos but this thing really has a fantastic snap to it. :lol:
tanto

Post by tanto »

Jeff_75 wrote:He must be pretty p!$$ed at them right about now.
You know - I have cooled down a lot. Frankly - I am actually pissed at Mikov because they were not able to make knife like that in 10 years I have been working with them. You all cannot even imagine hours I spent talking to them and pushing them to improve the knife. Yes, they started to use RWL34 + damasteel, but I wanted thicker liners, screws, different scale material, 440C blades, shellpuller.... I got only promises. Now hopefully they will listen to me again. So after all this has been a positive experience for me and I DO THANK YOU for your support too.

David
---------------

My knives + watches
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Yes David,
but you don't seem the type of person to steal ideas from others and I think it is tasteless of a well known US knife Co. (with many models already) to go after a design they know is a Mikov and write a bunch of fake " Special Squirrel Force Operative Nato etc....." next to a bogus government top secret looking document in their Ad :roll: because they used better steel and switched a couple features.
We see through it and now they ought to owe Mikov something
On the flip side I also don't blame anyone for getting one either (The m-tech Mikov") if that is there thing because they are nice looking
Leverlock switchblades
jmikesteen

Post by jmikesteen »

It is incorrect to asume that just because it is Microtech the quality will be better. I have owned Microtechs for years before they moved out of Florida and even took one of my knives in for repair and breifly got to meet Tony. My makov has never failed to fire, can't say that about any of the 20 different microtechs I have owned, I am selling off my Microtechs except for the Makora II which they got right, I have two of them and they fire everytime.
jmack1944

Post by jmack1944 »

jmikesteen wrote:It is incorrect to asume that just because it is Microtech the quality will be better. I have owned Microtechs for years before they moved out of Florida and even took one of my knives in for repair and breifly got to meet Tony. My makov has never failed to fire, can't say that about any of the 20 different microtechs I have owned, I am selling off my Microtechs except for the Makora II which they got right, I have two of them and they fire everytime.
I agree with Mr jmikesteen wholeheartedly. I was a very big MT fan until I got my Mikov the other day. It's simplicity, quality and "feel" are astounding for so little cost. Also the ability to make the Mikov a "legal" knife in non-friendly automatic jurisdictions is a great advantage. I travel often and the Mikov will be the knife I take wherever I go. Just think. I can buy 15 or more Mikovs for the price of one "Microtech Mikov". I guess I will have to change my avatar to a Mikov. Gladly.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Has anyone seen these yet?....they look very cool for the price.....Nemo

http://www.assistedknife.com/index.cfm/ ... /id/573499
jarvis

Post by jarvis »

Nemo wrote:Has anyone seen these yet?....they look very cool for the price.....Nemo

http://www.assistedknife.com/index.cfm/ ... /id/573499
"Mikovtech?" A clone of a copy? :?:
Some folks call it a sling blade, I call it a Kaiser blade.