Books?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderators: Vagrant, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Post Reply
Simeon
Posts: 272
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2002 6:34 pm
Location: Finland

Books?

Post by Simeon » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:34 am

So,
can somebody recommend good book(s) of (vintage) switchblades?

For example "Switchblades of Italy" is sold for $100 :shock: in ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %26otn%3D2
1/2 inch thick and I just only thouhgt...
...well, of course it's not just only the weight of the book or numer of pages, but anyway.

That book is sold out in many places, so it may increase it's value.

However, for example "Antique American Switchblades" is $34.99 only http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %26otn%3D2

(And (maybe) as known, I've been collecting these knives for a some time, so I may say I'm no beginner.)

Thanks in advance!

User avatar
Bill DeShivs
Yes.
Posts: 6290
Joined: Sat May 25, 2002 2:50 pm
Location: In de lan o' cotton
Contact:

Re: Books?

Post by Bill DeShivs » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:10 am

Antique American Switchblades and Switchblades of Italy are must haves. Copies of SOI are available on the SharperDeals auction site.
Foreign Spring Steel by Federico is a great picture book also.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives.

Simeon
Posts: 272
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2002 6:34 pm
Location: Finland

Re: Books?

Post by Simeon » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:45 am

Thanks, Bill.

I think I'll get SOI at first and AS (and FSS) later.

User avatar
jarvis
Posts: 1469
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2003 3:40 am
Location: Where The Homelss Meet The Sea

Re: Books?

Post by jarvis » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:51 pm

The Collector's Guide to Switchblade Knives by Richard Langston is pretty good, too. It's basically an overview of Langston's collection of American switchblades with black-and-white photos and some historical information.
Some folks call it a sling blade, I call it a Kaiser blade.

ragtime red
Posts: 123
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2003 12:35 am

Re: Books?

Post by ragtime red » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:35 pm

Simeon wrote:So,
can somebody recommend good book(s) of (vintage) switchblades?

For example "Switchblades of Italy" is sold for $100 :shock: in ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %26otn%3D2
1/2 inch thick and I just only thouhgt...
...well, of course it's not just only the weight of the book or numer of pages, but anyway.

That book is sold out in many places, so it may increase it's value.

However, for example "Antique American Switchblades" is $34.99 only http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %26otn%3D2

(And (maybe) as known, I've been collecting these knives for a some time, so I may say I'm no beginner.)

Thanks in advance!
Switchblades of Italy went out of print for almost 2 years. The publisher had only printed half of the original total that was contracted. During this time some copies showed up with some crazy prices. This situation has been rectified, and it is now back in print and available at www.turnerpublishing.com It will also be available again soon at Knife World Publications. It is a hardcover Smythe sewn binding full color book, and the price is $44.95
Image

Simeon
Posts: 272
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2002 6:34 pm
Location: Finland

Re: Books?

Post by Simeon » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:43 pm

Thanks, all, for the replies :-)

RR: SOI seems to be sold out at Turnerpublishing just now, but I'm in no hurry...

ragtime red
Posts: 123
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2003 12:35 am

Re: Books?

Post by ragtime red » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:44 pm

Simeon wrote:Thanks, all, for the replies :-)

RR: SOI seems to be sold out at Turnerpublishing just now, but I'm in no hurry...
I went into the Turner website and loaded the book into my cart.. went to checkout.. and it didn't say anything about being sold out. At what point did you get that info?? I will call them in the morning, but it will be helpful to know when you got the sold out message. thanks.
Image

User avatar
jim d,
Posts: 6904
Joined: Thu May 23, 2002 9:36 pm
Location: Mayberry, N.C. / U.S.A.

Re: Books?

Post by jim d, » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:09 am

Simeon,

You can also go to the sharperdeal auction site and buy it there. As previously stated, it is a must read.

Jim

Simeon
Posts: 272
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2002 6:34 pm
Location: Finland

Re: Books?

Post by Simeon » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:45 am

ragtime red wrote: it didn't say anything about being sold out. At what point did you get that info?? I will call them in the morning, but it will be helpful to know when you got the sold out message. thanks.
Well, don't know what I'm doing wrong, but: http://www.turnerpublishing.com/detail.aspx?ID=1004

ragtime red
Posts: 123
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2003 12:35 am

Re: Books?

Post by ragtime red » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:41 pm

Simeon wrote:
ragtime red wrote: it didn't say anything about being sold out. At what point did you get that info?? I will call them in the morning, but it will be helpful to know when you got the sold out message. thanks.
Well, don't know what I'm doing wrong, but: http://www.turnerpublishing.com/detail.aspx?ID=1004
Simeon... you weren't wrong at all. The website was not up to date. I just talked to them at Turner and they were going to change it right away. Give them a day or two to get it updated. Thanks for your interest.
Image

User avatar
Milu
Posts: 1462
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2003 2:29 pm
Location: East of Eden, West of the sun

Re: Books?

Post by Milu » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:53 pm

Best and greatest book is without question "Sharp, stabby, clicky things living in my sock drawer". Probably available next year.

You read about it here first :D
"se me burlé, me fico un cento e vinti in tel stomego"
Goldoni: La donna di Garbo, 1753

Simeon
Posts: 272
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2002 6:34 pm
Location: Finland

Re: Books?

Post by Simeon » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:53 am

ragtime red wrote:Simeon... you weren't wrong at all. The website was not up to date. I just talked to them at Turner and they were going to change it right away. Give them a day or two to get it updated. Thanks for your interest.
It was allready updated :-) Thank you very much!

Simeon
Posts: 272
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2002 6:34 pm
Location: Finland

Re: Books?

Post by Simeon » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:54 am

Milu wrote:Best and greatest book is without question "Sharp, stabby, clicky things living in my sock drawer". Probably available next year.

You read about it here first :D
Can't even wait! ;-) :D

Post Reply