New switchblade design... who do I give it to?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
redeye

Re: New switchblade design... who do I give it to?

Post by redeye »

I like art deco myself he was a nice guy lol just kidding that is a cool design i cant wait to see it in action so lets get one built
I am the KING of LATAMA collectors HAHAHAHAHAHAHA {EVIL LAUGH}
sicboy13

Post by sicboy13 »

pivot the wing to the right which releases the pin that hold the blade in (up against the "dull" section of the blade?

If I'm right, do I win a free prototype?

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. - Keyser Soze
h1942

Re: Without further ado.... The Aviator

Post by h1942 »

heviarti wrote:Here's a pic of what it may look like. This is both artist's and designer's conception. I also have an idea for a more modern look for those who don't dig Art Deco. I don't think I've given any big clues to the method of operation.

Oh and the color? all brass and steel.
I like the grind. Ditch the wing. Just my 2 cents. Hank
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

If you can't afford a patent attorney, do what one advised me to do. Document your idea in writing, designs, pictures, etc. Date all documents and then get them notarized. Mail them to yourself. After you get the envelope back, put it in a safe deposit box until you are ready to go for a patent. This effort will establish the date of your idea. No one else could steal it and patent it before you.

Interesting looking knife. :D
heviarti

Post by heviarti »

The wing is the release button. I can't lose it. It is pressed to release, and is in the release position. If you rotate it, it becomes flat with the profile of the knife and is in the safe position.

Hey Vagrant: Not even close. I feel better about my ability to not describe the workings.

Sic: I'd like a prototype before I start giving them to folks.
I walked a mile in my enemy's shoes.... And then I stole his shoes.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

heviarti wrote: Hey Vagrant: Not even close. I feel better about my ability to not describe the workings.
GOOD, because what I described, HAS been done before :wink:
heviarti

Post by heviarti »

I haven't heard from TR4252 in a while. Wonder if he's busy with his modeling program. I think I came up with a way to make it modular, and lower the inertia of the blade with one change.

Plus it makes mail order totally legal. If it ain't got a blade, it ain't a knife. Order a blade, install in less than five seconds, voila. May not implement it. I'd have to sell a comb for it or something. Reminds me of an incident I had in 6th grade.

Miguel Castaneda pulled a switchblade on me in the hall and said "I cut you, man, I cut you very bad". Seeing the humor in how stereotypical this was, and looking for a way to defuse it I proceeded to make Miguel look like a moron. I'd picked up one of them switchblade combs at the dollar store run by my Korean friends. I puffed myself up like I was all bad and pulled it. I think for a moment I saw fear in Miguel's eyes. I hit the button and said "I style you, man, I style you very bad" and waved my comb around. Bystanders laughed uproariously. Miguel slunk away. I didn't get in a knife fight with a comb.

Natcherly: what is your avatar? Is that a cam wheel on a compound bow? I need to post one for me, but can't scale images on my phone. The 50X50 I have is a gif and barfs when I try to post.

Hank: blade grind on the cutting edge is intended to be 1/4 hollow.
Last edited by heviarti on Sat May 22, 2010 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

I haven't heard from TR4252 in a while. Wonder if he's busy with his modeling program.
If by "model" you mean women... :lol: Tis the weekend afterall. :wink:
tr4252
Special Agent Oy Oy Seven

Post by tr4252 »

whippersnapper wrote:
I haven't heard from TR4252 in a while. Wonder if he's busy with his modeling program.
If by "model" you mean women... :lol: Tis the weekend afterall. :wink:
It's true Terry; just the one woman, but a most satisfactory weekend so far. Finally getting that famous Spring weather after gray rainy days. Makes one feel...not young exactly, just bouncier.

Sorry, heviarti (may I call you hev?), I put a few things off today. I think your designs are cool, and the art deco idea is another good one (wish I'd thought of it.) You seem to have a flair for design and sketch well. Do you think you could build one or mock up the mechanism? It'd be great to see your design as a real knife; it'd be novel all right. Not to give anything away, but I think it might sound cool as hell when you flip the blade open.

Tom
Is it...Tomorrow....Or just the end of time?
heviarti

Post by heviarti »

I've got very limited amount of facilities for making things right now. My last model was carboard, and was luckily something tubular. (a special valve I designed to isolate a supercharger on an electric clutch... works off boost pressure) I don't think I could make anything that complex with what I have here.

If you want a cool sounding knife, I think you just gave me an idea. If you were to put radial ratchet tooth group on a disk, and mount that disk on one side of a blade, you have the basis of a ratchet operated knife. A lever to press the disk, and a pawl to hold it 'til it can lock. Make the pawl from a piece of tube steel and make it reciprocate along the axis of the cylinder. The pawl would make hella noise. Tube would act like a bell and amplify the sound. Similar concept (at least with noise and ratchet) to the gypsy Navaja. one of which I'd love to have.

Maybe I could lean on Brother Charles, who is a master tool and die maker... he's just in Delaware.

I like to think I'm a decent designer. I come up with stuff I see years down the line all the time. That new submachinegun everybody is raving about, I designed in highschool. I need to find someone who manufactures flexible rubber products. I've got one that'll cost ten cents to make, and every construction site will have a hundred of 'em. And it's blood simple.

I *love* Art Deco. I also have a more understated modern design for people who don't get Art Deco. Dark blue anodized aluminum, teardrop release, smooth and with a rounded miter curve instead of steps. All business.

If I had facilities to make a model I'd have one already. I'd be listening to it go GRRRDT-SNICK! right now.
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

heviarti wrote: Natcherly: what is your avatar? Is that a cam wheel on a compound bow?
It is the steering quadrant sitting on top of a rudder. Cable runs from there to the wheel forward. Here is a larger picture.
Attachments
100-0055_IMG.JPG
100-0055_IMG.JPG (715.86 KiB) Viewed 4475 times
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

natcherly wrote:
heviarti wrote: Natcherly: what is your avatar? Is that a cam wheel on a compound bow?
It is the steering quadrant sitting on top of a rudder. Cable runs from there to the wheel forward. Here is a larger picture.
I have been wondering about that for ages. Very cool. I would have never guessed that.

Oh and I really like the "Deco" design! 8)
sicboy13

Post by sicboy13 »

any further developments on this new knife?

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. - Keyser Soze
heviarti

Post by heviarti »

I haven't machining facilities to build it. barring some major unseen flaw, the mechanics are sound. I did think up a way to make it less lint sensitive.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

natcherly wrote:
That is a much larger version of one method of blade operation I envisioned :idea: