New switchblade design... who do I give it to?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
heviarti

New switchblade design... who do I give it to?

Post by heviarti »

I've come up with a design for an automatic knife. It will take a little bit of precision to make. If a guy was going to give it to a maker that's respected around here, who would it be?

I'm not giving away all the details but here are some highlights: all metal construction, a coil spring -pull type, and a safety that keeps the blade more secure in your pocket... and the safety and release are the same lever.
I walked a mile in my enemy's shoes.... And then I stole his shoes.
Fishtail Picklock

Re: New switchblade design... who do I give it to?

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

I would consult a patent attorney, and upon approval, submit said design to the U.S. patent office. Selling such a design could be worth a heathy sum!
Fishtail Picklock
Fishtail Picklock

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

Four excellent prospects for such a knife would be Benchmade, Protech, SOG and the Colonial Knife Company.
Fishtail Picklock
redeye

Post by redeye »

there are several makers on our forums that would prolly like that idea and you should try them too I can think of a few SMALLFOOT ,PICKLOCK PAT HAVLIN , BILL DESHIVS , MERLIN , BURN. THERE ARE MANY GIVE EM A SHOUT OUT
I am the KING of LATAMA collectors HAHAHAHAHAHAHA {EVIL LAUGH}
heviarti

Post by heviarti »

if I had money for a patent attorney i'd have thirty patents just over the last five years. I don't have the money to patent anything.

I doubt a major company would make it... too many machined parts. I am also not 100% on the lock. The spring will keep it fairly secure, but I have two or three ideas for the lock. all functional, just don't know which is best.

Either way it's, as far as I know, a new idea. If I explained it, it would sound stupid. If you saw a picture you'd call me a genius (or insane) but suffice it to say whoever decides they want to give it a try must have machining facilities or be good enough with a file to make small gears.
tr4252
Special Agent Oy Oy Seven

Post by tr4252 »

Hi, welcome to the forum.

I wouldn't doubt you've got a great idea. I'd like to see it; I make a few knives myself, but I realize you wouldn't want to "publish" it before you've got the rights.

I wish you luck, but have to comment that the patent process isn't much fun, and it can be expensive. Never patented anything, but I have been to a patent attorney a couple of times. (that bit about not publishing before you have the rights cost me one).

Can you make or procure a working model? It's required for mechanical patents. The reason I bring this up is that some years of experience have proven to me that an idea that works really good in your head or on paper can have all kinds of unanticipated problems once you begin to make chips. I design knives (among other things) with a cad program which enables me to create full size virtual models and put them through their paces to check how the parts will interact in use, and it's pretty cool. Then, I can do a lot of the rough work on a CNC machine, which does precise drilling and milling, etc. The thing is, even when it's right on the drawing board the real article can surprise you (unpleasantly). And then, actually making the parts is another set of challenges.

Good luck. Hope you'll keep us informed how it goes. Redeye is right, a lot of us here can help with advice.

Tom
Is it...Tomorrow....Or just the end of time?
heviarti

Post by heviarti »

I won't just post it, but I will send drawings to someone capable (like you, you sound like you have machines. ) I can explain anything that's not clear. I'll draw it out and photograph it.
heviarti

Post by heviarti »

pm sent. see what you think
tr4252
Special Agent Oy Oy Seven

Post by tr4252 »

That's a pretty clever looking idea, I must say. I don't think the parts are too complicated to produce in a cost effective way. Very innovative design.

Tom
Is it...Tomorrow....Or just the end of time?
heviarti

Post by heviarti »

Yeah, and when you rotate the thumb lever toward the blade pin, I don't care how much you push on it, the knife ain't opening. I don't know if the photo was good enough to show the tiny notch in the thumb lever... but I figure on a teardrop with a hole in the center kind of a washer-like spring bent down the center to engage the notch in either position. If the release was made square, it could also be the lock. To close it just press the thumb lever, and pull the blade to rest with the fingers. I really wanted it to be a teeter-totter mechanism though... I even cosidered a pin actuated by the thumb lever in the release position so the lock could only work when the thumb lever is set to open. Or the piece the spring pulls could have a roller atop it to maintain it's place in the body as well as be an axle for a pawl style lock at the spine.

Imagine the body of that made of 3/16 brass. The bolster would be an easy half inch longer than a normal knife to protect the piece that's pulled by the spring when the knife is closed. It could be as loose as a chinese POS and still feel tight. Part of the reason I thought up those oil channels...which would also allow detritus to exit, just like the sand cuts on a FAL. Never mind that the pin would be much safer from damage by leverage because the body would take the strain.
sicboy13

Post by sicboy13 »

well now I want one. If it isnt $2000 or anything. :)

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. - Keyser Soze
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

if tr4252 says "it's clever" it IS :idea:
redeye

Post by redeye »

Vagrant wrote:if tr4252 says "it's clever" it IS :idea:

my thoughts exactly Al
I am the KING of LATAMA collectors HAHAHAHAHAHAHA {EVIL LAUGH}
heviarti

Post by heviarti »

Is clever or is $2000?

If he's checked his PM I sent him more detailed drawing of the release mechanism. This design is all about being overbuilt yet elegant.
heviarti

Without further ado.... The Aviator

Post by heviarti »

Here's a pic of what it may look like. This is both artist's and designer's conception. I also have an idea for a more modern look for those who don't dig Art Deco. I don't think I've given any big clues to the method of operation.

Oh and the color? all brass and steel.
Attachments
aviator.jpg
aviator.jpg (62.31 KiB) Viewed 6666 times