Movie Switchblades

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
JimBrown257

Re: Movie Switchblades

Post by JimBrown257 »

RSD100 wrote:I just watched Black Hand. Gene Kelly closes his 11" picklock one handed (early in movie, 15 mins maybe). He uses the back of his right thumbnail, catches the underside edge of the lock tab and and pushes up. Kelly had strong thumbs, or I have weak ones.
I can do that on a Japanese picklock but not on any Italian picklock. I wouldn't have though such a thing was possible unless all the PLs I have seen were uncharacteristically stiff. That movie being from 1950 must preclude any chance of it being a swivel-bolster.

How bout that...Gene Kelly continues to amaze nearly 20 years after his death.
jimbeam

Post by jimbeam »

young cutlery wrote:in the movie "The Family" the main character uses an Italian to cut the rope he used to drag someone behind a car

The great Robert DeNiro in "The Family".
Danny Bailey

Post by Danny Bailey »

Without sifting through 116 pages, can someone point me to Around The World In Eighty Days? I know, I'm lazy.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Mike, you can search the thread with the box at the very top of the posts (it says "search this topic").

Here is the one you want:
http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php ... d+#p199023
TRYKER

Post by TRYKER »

JimBrown257 wrote:
RSD100 wrote:I just watched Black Hand. Gene Kelly closes his 11" picklock one handed (early in movie, 15 mins maybe). He uses the back of his right thumbnail, catches the underside edge of the lock tab and and pushes up. Kelly had strong thumbs, or I have weak ones.
I can do that on a Japanese picklock but not on any Italian picklock. I wouldn't have though such a thing was possible unless all the PLs I have seen were uncharacteristically stiff. That movie being from 1950 must preclude any chance of it being a swivel-bolster.

How bout that...Gene Kelly continues to amaze nearly 20 years after his death.

i have an italian picklock that i can push with one thumb to close.
TRYKER

A man who brags about how smart he is, wouldn't if he was.

"Rose-colored glassses are never made in bifocals. Nobody wants to read the small print in dreams"
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

I have at least one I can close with my thumb. Some of the picklocks did have weak back springs.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

TRYKER wrote: i have an italian picklock that i can push with one thumb to close.
Are you saying you can get the knife closed with only one hand?

I have one which I can push the tab back with one thumb but I still have to hold the knife with my other hand while I do that. It sounds like Gene Kelly is do the whole thing with only one hand.
Danny Bailey

Post by Danny Bailey »

JimBrown257 wrote:Mike, you can search the thread with the box at the very top of the posts (it says "search this topic").

Here is the one you want:
http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php ... d+#p199023

Thanks so much!

That one has to be a 15 inch.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Danny Bailey wrote: That one has to be a 15 inch.
There was a discussion about that somewhere earlier in the thread. I would be prone to think it was a 15" but the movie was from 56. That would lead me to believe it was a 13.

Whatever the case, it is a big knife to be throwing across a fancy saloon. And I didn't see the movie but, based on those pics, I have to imagine that guy made a "ehh" sound when he threw it. :mrgreen:
RSD100

Post by RSD100 »

JimBrown257 wrote:
TRYKER wrote: i have an italian picklock that i can push with one thumb to close.

I have one which I can push the tab back with one thumb but I still have to hold the knife with my other hand while I do that. It sounds like Gene Kelly is do the whole thing with only one hand.
I have Black Hand recorded on the cable server. I will watch it again and get the details of how Mr. Kelly closed his picklock. Its a good movie.
TRYKER

Post by TRYKER »

JimBrown257 wrote:

YES, push with the thumb and the blade will swing downthen you can just squezze it closed.
TRYKER

A man who brags about how smart he is, wouldn't if he was.

"Rose-colored glassses are never made in bifocals. Nobody wants to read the small print in dreams"
Zazu

Post by Zazu »

Just watched that film ted. There's a stiletto being used by the teddy bear in that stab-between-the-fingers game. Black and looks about 9"
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

There was a 9" Italian in the latest Indiana Jones movie. It almost looks like it has a clip-point in the first shot. I would have thought they just put a manual in with a "click" dubbed in but we later see that it was a real switchblade. So it probably is a bayonet and the angle just makes it look like a CP.

The movie took place in 1957 and the stiletto was a swivel-bolster. I guess that is the least of the historical inaccuracies in this movie.
Attachments
Crystal Skull.PNG
Crystal Skull.PNG (268.39 KiB) Viewed 6296 times
Crystal Skull 2.PNG
Crystal Skull 2.PNG (316.04 KiB) Viewed 6296 times
S&W

Post by S&W »

Hay guy's, Long time no post. But I think I have a few to add. Alice Cooper's "elected" video has Alice popping open a rizzie that open's half way. All in the family where Archie and mike argue over what type of knife the refrigerator repairman's helper has, Cant remember the ephasode but the guy pop's out a 13" Italian. Arsenic and old lace, Cary Grant's brother "Johnny" pop's out a habitus I believe. :D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEpqtt6Tg9k AITF https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fs6AExtcNEQ AC.
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

JimBrown257 wrote:There was a 9" Italian in the latest Indiana Jones movie. It almost looks like it has a clip-point in the first shot. I would have thought they just put a manual in with a "click" dubbed in but we later see that it was a real switchblade. So it probably is a bayonet and the angle just makes it look like a CP.

The movie took place in 1957 and the stiletto was a swivel-bolster. I guess that is the least of the historical inaccuracies in this movie.
At least they used an Italian stiletto, a knife that other than the top bolster, is almost identical to the 50s knives, other than they are not as well made. I haven't seen the movie, but I saw a post on here that shows a Leverletto in Gangster Squad, a movie that takes place in the late 40s. In the movie "Stand By Me," their is a Korean swingguard and the film takes place in the 50s.