Movie Switchblades

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Tom19176

Re: Movie Switchblades

Post by Tom19176 »

That is a cartoon pic of this Gerber :

http://www.gerbergear.com/index.php/product/id/167
BTB0923

Post by BTB0923 »

8) It certainly is, thanks Tom!
Click here for the most recently updated list of movies covered in our "movie switchblades" thread...
http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php ... 08#p216408
sicboy13

Post by sicboy13 »

I see "The Man Who Knew too Little" on the list for some wristblades, but if it hasn't been mentioned, at around minute 14 or 15 2 thugs jump Bill Murray in an ally & one pulls a bigger brass & wood Italian out... some pretty good shots of it...

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. - Keyser Soze
BTB0923

Post by BTB0923 »

sicboy13 wrote:I see "The Man Who Knew too Little" on the list for some wristblades, but if it hasn't been mentioned, at around minute 14 or 15 2 thugs jump Bill Murray in an ally & one pulls a bigger brass & wood Italian out... some pretty good shots of it...
We actually covered that one when we got the wristblades. For some reason I can't get it to come up in the search though. I'll add "Italian style stiletto" to the list.

On an unrelated note, I uploaded the newest "switchblades in the movies" vid to youtube last night. It covers the ones from 2005-2009...

http://www.youtube.com/user/oAROWANAo?f ... tU5KlIkDJ0
Click here for the most recently updated list of movies covered in our "movie switchblades" thread...
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

I found a good one. The art of travel has one at about 20 mins in.
This is the magic incantation congress uses to constantly violate the 10th Amendment - "...the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce of such shall be prohibited"
gaara23

Post by gaara23 »

BTB0923 wrote:
redeye wrote:Tonight on the new episode of "THE FAMILY GUY" the character "Stewie" creatse an evil clone of himself and it attacks him and beats him up then pulls a stiletto out from his back pocket and cuts the dogs{Brian} tail off. he then exscapes the house and a lady almost runs him over with her car and when she gets out to see if he is ok he pulls a machete from somewhere and cuts her in half lol its cool.

Such an evil plot. But the kid. is that a kid?? its so cute like rugrats
BTB0923

Post by BTB0923 »

dark2023 wrote:I found a good one. The art of travel has one at about 20 mins in.
They added a switchblade sound effect in post, but it's a manual knife. You can see he already has it halfway open behind his back before he flicks it out, and he still has to flick his wrist twice to get it to open all the way.
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

BTB0923 wrote:
dark2023 wrote:I found a good one. The art of travel has one at about 20 mins in.
They added a switchblade sound effect in post, but it's a manual knife. You can see he already has it halfway open behind his back before he flicks it out, and he still has to flick his wrist twice to get it to open all the way.
I have seen several movies where a faux switchblade is used, perhaps because the prop department could not locate a real one. In "Force Ten from Navarone," Carl Weather's character uses a stiletto, and although you hear the knife "click" it is not shown opening. The stiletto is knocked out of his hand during the knife fight. I have this movie on VHS and I remember when I did a freeze frame to get a closer look at the knife, it only had only button and no safety, so it was probably one of the lock backs made in the early 1960s.
BTB0923

Post by BTB0923 »

Panzerfaust wrote:I have seen several movies where a faux switchblade is used, perhaps because the prop department could not locate a real one. In "Force Ten from Navarone," Carl Weather's character uses a stiletto, and although you hear the knife "click" it is not shown opening. The stiletto is knocked out of his hand during the knife fight. I have this movie on VHS and I remember when I did a freeze frame to get a closer look at the knife, it only had only button and no safety, so it was probably one of the lock backs made in the early 1960s.
We actually covered that one way back in May of last year. It never crossed my mind that it might be a faux switchblade. It is suspicious that it has no safety, but did the lock backs have a notch in the tang for blade release like this one does? (see last pic)...

Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

BTB0923 wrote:
Panzerfaust wrote:I have seen several movies where a faux switchblade is used, perhaps because the prop department could not locate a real one. In "Force Ten from Navarone," Carl Weather's character uses a stiletto, and although you hear the knife "click" it is not shown opening. The stiletto is knocked out of his hand during the knife fight. I have this movie on VHS and I remember when I did a freeze frame to get a closer look at the knife, it only had only button and no safety, so it was probably one of the lock backs made in the early 1960s.
We actually covered that one way back in May of last year. It never crossed my mind that it might be a faux switchblade. It is suspicious that it has no safety, but did the lock backs have a notch in the tang for blade release like this one does? (see last pic)...

BTB,
Good point. I did not recall noticing a hole in the tang when I freeze framed one of the images on my VCR. I am not aware of manual knives having holes in the tangs, although some of the early ones were picklocks, so I suppose it is possible. "Force Ten from Navarone" was filmed in Yugoslavia, so I would think the prop department used whatever they could scrounge up there.
On another subject, since I have put together a small collection of Rizzys, I have thought about a rerun of the 1970s cop show Baretta that I saw in the 80s. A bad guy pulls an SB with cross guards and white handles on Robert Blake's character. I remember the scene showed a close up of the knife while Baretta is wrestling with him on a roof top. Anyone remember this episode?

BTB0923

Post by BTB0923 »

I believe this one that was used in Coogan's Bluff was a manual. They added a switchblade opening noise when the guy pulls it out of his boot even though it's already open :P ...

Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

A few of the new models do have a notch in the tang with a fake button ( think those new cheap Mtech's), but those type do actually lock the blade closed. I have a few old fake button models and none of the old ones have a notch. The handle on the knife in question seems very different as to contour, which makes me think it was rehandled, and therefore the safety was eliminated.....
TMD

Post by TMD »

I spotted a stiletto in Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1095217/

/ TMD
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

What ever happened to the knives I mentioned from Harry's Law
This is the magic incantation congress uses to constantly violate the 10th Amendment - "...the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce of such shall be prohibited"
BTB0923

Post by BTB0923 »

dark2023 wrote:What ever happened to the knives I mentioned from Harry's Law
I'll get to them.