choice of a EDC Lever opening knife to purchase

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Sam Hotton

choice of a EDC Lever opening knife to purchase

Post by Sam Hotton »

I see advertised many brands of lever opening automatic knives for sale. The one that most people rave about is by Hubertus, right up front , I cannot afford one at this time. I have no experience or knowledge about the quality of other makers of lever autos. You folks do. Can you please advise me of makers that produce a well made lever auto that will withstand the rigors of EDC that would be expected from a conventional pocket knife such as a Case or Buck brand.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Check the "Blade Alliance" at the top of the page. The Italian Leverlocks are good quality and much cheaper than German ones. The Massaro 7" is a bit smaller than the usual [8"] Leverlocks but a really nice pocket knife.
Any of the 8" are fine but the ones with steel liners are stronger than the ones with brass liners.
tanto

Post by tanto »

I would say Mikov ... but I might be a bit biased ;)

David
---------------

My knives + watches
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

I would say Mikov ... but I might be a bit biased

An nice alternative and a more "tactical" blade style.
Teddy
Britannicus Geriatricus

Post by Teddy »

Mr. Hotton, (or would you prefer Sam?)

Welcome to the forum..... I can't offer any advice on the EDC question as I only collect knives.... I don't use 'em these days.... but I had a LL that I used a LOT when I was working for a living.... mine was a German style (not Hubertus) and held up very well to moderate use.

Best wishes
Teddy
mr_edge

Post by mr_edge »

I would agree with Vagrant...go with a Massaro LL. Go to the top right of the screen. They are of excellent quality for the price.
Roccomo

Post by Roccomo »

Mr. Hotton,

Welcome and enjoy this forum. If you look at the SKM or AB site (top right corner of this screen) they offer a good choice of leverlocks. My favorite and long term EDC is the sigfried. One of these is a good value and if not abused will last for years. The pen blade is a nice all around useful shape kind of like a boyscout knife blade. They are tough and well made and can be leaned on as needed. If you like a super pointy blade ( like a needle point) look at Massaro for the 'Old Fashioned'. These are not quite as heavy duty as the sigfried. The blade is slim and the point is very fine. They come in a couple of handle materials.
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

Its been said before but I'l say it again here, check out those rosewood handeled SKM,AB LLs, good tough little knives, not expensive and they come with a nice sharp blade.
Take Care
blackjack
Take Care
blackjack
'...I'm warning you...if you say Jehovah once more...'
'Women are experts at finding a man's faults and then constantly reminding him of them'
hollowdweller

Post by hollowdweller »

On a budget I'd second the old fashioned. I have the larger massaro too, but it seems cheaper, not as solid. Maybe it is just the one I own but the Old Fashioned is close to a Hubie in solid and lockup. 8)
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Sam,

If you have the time and inclination, do a search on this forum for the Massaro Old Fashioned and read the accolades. I was one of its chief proponents. If you do not wish to do so, just get one. My suspicion is that then you will be posting your own accolades.

Jim
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

It's well known I love [all] Leverlocks. The Old Fashioned is great and one I sold has been heavily used [in fact abused some] and is still going strong, but the Massaro 7" also gets special mention just because it's one of the most ignored knives made. The bigger ones get all the attention and they are great but if you're looking for a smaller "Gent's knife" or just want something compact the 7" deserves consideration. The big problem in making up your mind is all the choices are so good. Whatever you get you will probably love. If you're like the rest of us you will probably end up getting several as time goes by. This is one of the few things in life where almost all the choices are great. [Even though I'm a dealer I recomend the "Old Fashioned" or 7" because I have none of either in stock right now, so I'm not "pushing" something I want to sell]. I do have others in stock but the two Massaros are great choices that have my unbiased recommendation.
Sam Hotton

Thanks to all for the great information.

Post by Sam Hotton »

I contacted Tinys. I will be ordering a Massaro 7 the first of the week. I'm sure I will be ordering an Old Fashoned some time down the road. Thanks to all who pounded the keyboard giving me their hard earned and I'm sure expensively acquired advice.

Sam
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Glad to help. Tiny is great, in fact anyone on our good ones list has proven themselves to at least some of us. This will [probably] become an addiction, so you're off to a good start. If you like the 7" PLEASE post your impressions, this knife receives very little attention and an unbiased report would be nice.
John Brown

Leverlocks

Post by John Brown »

I love my four Hubertus leverlocks. So far I haven't found an Italian knife of any kind that compares to the quality of Hubertus. I really hate stamped parts on knives, especially bolsters. I have to admit that I've never seen a Massaro. Does the Old Fashioned and the 7' have solid bolsters? If so I'll start looking for one. All The Best! -John Brown
Roccomo

Post by Roccomo »

Mr. John Brown,

The massaro knives are all stamped bolsters. The cool thing about them is that they are in some cases 1/3 the price of a hubertus.