Interesting picture from Rome

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Tom19176

Interesting picture from Rome

Post by Tom19176 »

A member on another forum I am on just got back from Rome, and posted some pictures of knives for sale and he is not a switchblade collector, but he did post this picture at my request. It shows some interesting stilettos which seem to have standard or flat blades and a very interesting shell puller!! He said this was the offering at a flea market and they were all new knives so why aren't these shell pullers sold here ?!?!? Also the stilettos are all standard blades which is not seen often here on modern offering? He said the stilettos were in the $50 range.
italy knives.jpg
italy knives.jpg (160.57 KiB) Viewed 6571 times
lars

Re: Interesting picture from Rome

Post by lars »

I wouldn´t mind finding a store like this one :D Some real interesting stuff.
Thanks for showing us, Tom! :)
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

I figured the members here would like it....
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

I do!
Chad beat me to PM ing you this time. :x :D Awesome shot!
Leverlock switchblades
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

I guess I worded this wrong or wishful thinking lead those shotshell collectors to drool too much!! This is a picture of what a stand in a flea market had on display for sale in Rome last week. The picture is all the guy brought home as far as switchblades goes....I am wondering who makes them as they have a spear blade and a bail and look cool...they are being made by someone out there in Italy!
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Tom19176 wrote:I guess I worded this wrong or wishful thinking lead those shotshell collectors to drool too much!! This is a picture of what a stand in a flea market had on display for sale in Rome last week. The picture is all the guy brought home as far as switchblades goes....I am wondering who makes them as they have a spear blade and a bail and look cool...they are being made by someone out there in Italy!
:lol: :lol: I still want to know where to get one of those. That thing looks solid and mint condition. Whats it doing sitting around with a bunch of clones?
Leverlock switchblades
gunner

Post by gunner »

Very cool display, I would have totally bought that shell puller!! I was watching a very recent Italian horror film, I forget the title but one of the baddies was using one of those knuckle handled butterfly knives on the far left. I figured it was an older elephant marked Spanish ones, but now I see they were newer Italians. I've never seen those for sale either. They're holding out on us over there!! Gotta get to Rome!!
SPRINGER KÖNIG
Fishtail Picklock

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

Close the top and right of the picture, I saw a pair of MOP and Black Polymer scaled Picklocks. I would have snatched them up in a hearbeat!

Scott
Fishtail Picklock
Milu

Post by Milu »

I may be wrong but a lot of them look Chinese.
"se me burlé, me fico un cento e vinti in tel stomego"
Goldoni: La donna di Garbo, 1753
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

The switchblades are all Italian, but many of the others are from China and just for sale in Rome. My life long friend went to Rome about a year ago and sent me a few pictures of the knives for sale at two stores and most of them were American ! The only Italian switchblades were a few 9" ones.
Milu

Post by Milu »

Knife shops in Italy do not usually display automatics and usually no longer stock them. They sometimes have some "in the back of the shop" for favoured clients. Tourist shops sometimes have rubbishy ones available.

There are good selections of American knives available but priced much higher than in USA.
"se me burlé, me fico un cento e vinti in tel stomego"
Goldoni: La donna di Garbo, 1753
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

In the 1970s and 80s I went to Italy a few times and all sorts of switchblades were everywhere! Shops that carried no other knives had switchblades in their front window! I have not been there since and I guess things have changed a bit. I never went to Mexico, but I hear conflicting stories about them being all over or none at all there too....
orangeboy

Post by orangeboy »

Nice picture. Looks like the flea market I went to today in Florida. That shell puller is a Jndiana shell puller with imitation stag handles.

I use to own a mint one but it resides up North with a friend. It came from an Italian dealer off of Blade Auction a few years back.

I visited Italy in 2004 and I saw several tourist shops that sold new quality stilettos like the Campolins or Beltrames produce.
I brought back two 9 inchers. The store in Rome had a box of all sizes in stag and also a separate box of dark horn stilettos.
In Venice the knife stores had only 9s and 11s. I was told at a street market that stores needed a license to sell stilettos and that
none with bayo blades were allowed. All the ones I saw for sale and bought for myself were flat grind blades.
Italian and USA Doctorate in Cutlery Research, PHD
Italian and USA Masters in Cutlery Research, PHD
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

That shell puller is a Jndiana shell puller with imitation stag handles.
Yep, I think your right, Charlie.... The one in Tom's picture and yours are the only other ones I have seen besides mine...
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Nice! So that is the smaller sized one. The bolsters look solid. To bad I can't find one.
Leverlock switchblades