My first Mikov arrived.

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
The Tourist

My first Mikov arrived.

Post by The Tourist »

After reading several favorable reports on the Mikov brand, I decided to purchase a few and take a look for myself. The first one, a sambar stag dagger style arrived this afternoon. After I examined the fit and finish, I polished the edge and took some pictures.

My initial examination was a combination of both good and bad. The action was snappy, and the lock-up was tight without a hint of wobble in any direction. To test the ease of replacing the spring I also purchased a spare, and I removed and re-assembled both springs to check for ease of installation, fit and operation.

Both springs were very tight for the final 1/8 inch. A gentle tap with the plastic end of a Lyman firearms assembly hammer (which I use as a tinkers' mallet) easily seated both springs into position. The test firings were flawless after each replacement.

From there, things got a tad rough, and 'rough' is the operative word.

The blade rests perfectly straight when folded into the handle. When opened, the blade twists slightly to the left when positioned with the edge down. Admittedly it's slight, and you have to sight down the spine to see it. It's common in many handmade stilettos and entry-level priced Japanese kitchen knives. Disappointing, but no biggee.

There was a yellow brittle glue which had seeped out from under the stag where the edges were not a perfect fit to the frame chassis.

The bevel, sharpness, and blade alloy were one mess.

The edge was dull, poorly formed with an obtuse angle for the bevel. Granted, I didn't expect a keen edge on a dagger. Most are dull, and designed more for thrusting. However, this bevel was irregular front to back and left to right with numerous flat spots on the edge where the planes never met to begin with.

I decided to simply use an Edge Pro to straighten and hone the edge, and as you can see, the polishing produced a gummy, muddy swarf which usually signifies a lower quality stainless alloy. It seemed to produce copious amounts of "squid ink" on the stone which actually ran off the press onto the counter top and then onto the floor.

It took five grades of stones, three grades of polishing papers and two grades of paste to produce an edge which sliced "twice and twain." That's jargon we use to describe an edge sharp enough to cleanly slice through newsprint both along the side and then the top edge against both bias' of the paper.

Now don't get me wrong. I think the knife is a tough, sturdy example of a working knife with a blade of a realistic length. As with any test example, I'm going to carry it for several days/weeks and cut a variety of items. I'm not the kind of test abuser who pries open paint cans or runs over the knife with a truck. However I will slice every/any item I need while doing my normal chores.

For that I expect the Mikov to work just fine. I believe that the edge will require a few touch-ups, and I can see areas which could benefit from additional polishing. For example, the first 1/4 inch of the left-hand side of the bevel near the ricasso is still a tad rough and narrower than the bevel on the rest of the knife. I do sharpen with a lighter hand, and I remove metal slowly. The condition will improve over time with a few more light sharpenings.

For 89 USD delivered, tax and shipping included, the Mikov is a good value. I have a left-handed, clip point model with a yellow handle arriving later this week for my wife.

omega

Re: My first Mikov arrived.

Post by omega »

Nice review Mr. Tourist! I wish we had more reviews and QC info posted so that buyers of new knives knew what to expect when that "special" parcel arrives.
The Tourist

Post by The Tourist »

omega wrote:Nice review Mr. Tourist! I wish we had more reviews and QC info posted so that buyers of new knives knew what to expect when that "special" parcel arrives.
I have no problem providing reviews, as long as the forum members know that I try to be fair, and any knife I write about is a singular example of the brand.

The next Mikov I get could be flawless--and if so, then I'll report that.

I took this sambar Mikov to Perkins tonight and used it for my dinner. As you know, I call the first meal with any knife "mayonnaising." This Mikov was used to cut a salty, greasy cheeseburger, fries with ketchup--and just to funny, I ordered a side cup of mayonnaise!

I pulled the spring out when I got home, and the knife is now soaking in a sinkful of soapy water with the rest of the days dishes. After a thorough blow dry, the edge will be polished again to find any hidden "gremlins."

I like to read other opinions and debate. I encourage the members here to write about the experiences they have with new knives, both good and bad. None of us can own everything, and it's nice to learn about knives we might want in the future.

Can someone please test a catalana for me?
atwo

Post by atwo »

THANKS ! now i will never be able to look at my mikovs like i used to :evil:
clyde

Post by clyde »

Where did you find a stag handle Mikov for $89.00 ? :o
The Tourist

Post by The Tourist »

atwo wrote:THANKS ! now i will never be able to look at my mikovs like i used to
That confuses me. I thought I was being fair. The knife has some rough areas, but they can fixed, or flat out ignored. Can you explain your position?
clyde wrote:Where did you find a stag handle Mikov for $89.00 ?
Josh over at PVK had one. It had been on the site for quite a bit, and it was the same price as one he had with black horn. That model was still there this weekend.

Edit: As of 10:00AM CST on April 27, 2009 there is still a sambar stag Mikov on PVK for 89 USD.
atwo

Post by atwo »

Tourist my position was humorous :P ........A2
omega

Post by omega »

Yes, but I want to know if my Mikovs are dishwasher-safe???
The Tourist

Post by The Tourist »

omega wrote:Yes, but I want to know if my Mikovs are dishwasher-safe???
There's one way to find out! LOL
barshoo

Post by barshoo »

The Tourist wrote:
omega wrote:Yes, but I want to know if my Mikovs are dishwasher-safe???
There's one way to find out! LOL
It'd be best to get a hold of a little bottle of Latama "Quick Release" oil if you are going to put your Mik in the dishwisher. By the way, I have an 11" Catalina and a 9" Catalina. Which would you like to know about? What knowledge are you looking for?
I will push your buttons--please pass me your switchblades first.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Tourist,
Did PVK build your Mikov?
Leverlock switchblades
tanto

Post by tanto »

Jeff_75 wrote:Tourist,
Did PVK build your Mikov?

Few years back Josh bought few Mikovs from me. He is still selling them. As you can see the blade still has the old "mikov" grind. About 3 years ago Mikov quit grinding their own blades and they are now mande in Germany. They look a lot better now.
---------------

My knives + watches
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

I thought it looked a little different to me. Thanks. :D
Leverlock switchblades
lars

Post by lars »

Tanto wrote: Few years back Josh bought few Mikovs from me. He is still selling them. As you can see the blade still has the old "mikov" grind. About 3 years ago Mikov quit grinding their own blades and they are now mande in Germany. They look a lot better now.[/quote]

Tanto: The blade (clip point) on the one I got from you earlier this week looks just great. :)
lars
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Yeah, mine look like mirrors. Thanks for noticing that too Lars!
Are the Mikov kits PVK has the same? That might be why the kit is priced lower.
Leverlock switchblades