A good word about Josh.

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
The Tourist

A good word about Josh.

Post by The Tourist »

As you know, this week I ordered a little black fish and received two red cellulide fish. I was happy, and frankly shocked. But the little black fish never arrived.

Josh has a IM at his website, and I wrote to him asking about the shipping details. He informed me that he subbed the red fish since he had run out of the black style. And he did it for the same price! Two red fish for the price of one black!

I respect a merchant who runs his business like this. I try to run mine in the same fashion.

And to show him I appreciated his service, I immediately ordered a 4.5 inch blade white fish from him for my use as an EDC.

This is going to be a tough business for salesmen in the upcoming year. I would also suggest that you reward the guys who are loyal to you, even if you have to go a bit out of your way in making the transaction.

For example, a huge Gander Mountain "super store" has opened in my area. I fear for our last remaining neighborhood firearms dealer as he struggles to keep afloat.
maceco

Re: A good word about Josh.

Post by maceco »

It's always nice to find a businessman who cares about his customers and doesn't have a "take it or leave it" attitude.
I do not know Josh or his business. What is his company's name and what is their website?
The Tourist

Post by The Tourist »

maceco wrote:I do not know Josh or his business. What is his company's name and what is their website?
It's Josh Burbank at Pioneer Valley Knife & Tool. 888-878-5643

Yeah, he can be a bit crusty, but I've been doing business with him since 1996.
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

The Tourist wrote: It's Josh Burbank at Pioneer Valley Knife & Tool.
Aka PVK...
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
omega

Post by omega »

Greetings Mr. Tourist,

I'm happy that you have had a favorable experience in your dealings with PVK/Josh. Not everyone here would agree with you, based largely on Josh's tendency to communicate poorly with his customers regarding the status of pending orders. People do report that they eventually get their knives, but that wait time has at times, been excessive.

Perhaps your experience is a reflection of an increased emphasis on customer service? Time will tell. I would think that freeing himself up from the duties of administering bladeauction would allow him to concentrate on his core business.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Always seems kind of hit or miss with PVK. And like Omega mentioned, communication with customers has always been the biggest complaint. He also didn't make too many friends in the way he closed the old Blade auction.
The Tourist

Post by The Tourist »

Oh, no question about it, Josh is "colorful."

But I figure it this way, 'mountain men' are colorful. If you want soft, soothing music you can hire a nanny.

Perhaps it's my age, but I come from a time where we believed that a company can perform good work even if the workers hate each other. This new touchie-feelie concept of "does the staff fit" is probably the reason that corporations spend time in sensitivity training and not on the production line.

And I'm the same way. I'm an old biker. I feel modern people are soft and whiny. But that ends at the transom of my business. I use the same tenacity to fill orders and fight for my clients.

And that's how you approach Josh. You try to be his buddy to grease the wheels and he'll kick you to the curb.

Do you know that he got so angry with me that he blocked my calls.

The reason they call it "work" is because you have to work at it. I never lost so much as a nickel with Josh. Every package arrived, no Q/C problems, and no billing errors.

I wish all of my vendors and jobbers could say that.
Simeon

Post by Simeon »

whippersnapper wrote:Always seems kind of hit or miss with PVK.
So I've heard.
But it has allways been "hit" with PVK / Josh what it comes to me.

I have nothing but good to say about him - no matter of my location (Finland).
The Tourist

Post by The Tourist »

Simeon wrote:I have nothing but good to say about him.
I believe a "business relationship" is just like any other relationship. The street goes both ways.

Frequently I hear someone say, "I don't like that car dealership," or "I'm never treated that well at this grocery store." In the fullness of time I realize that my acquaintance is often the "client from hell." The places he criticizes are usually the places where he is a troublemaker.

For my part, I once "fired" a chef at a four star restaurant. He brought me lots of sharpening business, he bought a lot of knives. But he was also rude, late in paying, and he lied to me. (He bought personal knives and then ran the invoices through the restaurant's accounts payable department.)

I tolerated his attitude until the last straw. Then I canned him.

Now, from his perspective he had a "bad vendor," that being me. And I'm sure he trashes me everytime he picks up a dull knife.

But like I said, the street goes both ways.
tanto

Post by tanto »

I too have good experience with Josh ... I wonder which Monday he will reopen Bladeauction ???? :?: :?:

quote:
Folks I am sorry the site is down at the moment. I have a new server online and am working to get the site going as quickly as possible hopefully before Monday. This down time was unexpected and I am sorry for the stress thank you for your patience. -Josh
---------------

My knives + watches
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

I ordered a Hubertus in rosewood from Josh about a month ago and was really happy with his service. He included a free 5" black switchblade in my package and gave me a cool PVK pen. :) Fast shipping too. He is a great 8) guy. I'll do buisness with him again. Thanks Josh!
Leverlock switchblades
javacupper

Post by javacupper »

I got these Protechs from Josh. When I ordered the Godfather, I was sent a similar knife but with black bolsters and no mosaic button. I emailed Josh but got no response. About the time I was getting worried I got an email saying the correct knife was on the way along with a prepaid mailer to return the wrong one. Yes he was slow to respond but he took care of business and I have done more business with him like the Godson without problem since then.
Attachments
Protech.jpg
Protech.jpg (37.82 KiB) Viewed 8847 times
The only thing I take seriously in life is death but I haven't gotten there yet!Image
eastcoastsniper

Post by eastcoastsniper »

I'm still waiting for him to answer an e-mail I sent 3 days ago!
The Tourist

Post by The Tourist »

eastcoastsniper wrote:I'm still waiting for him to answer an e-mail I sent 3 days ago!
If the knife is to be ordered for a time sensitive reason, like a birthday or as a gift for a client, you might want to try the IM system he has in place at the end of every makers column. That way you have a give-n-take on the project and things go faster and smoother. It's how I ordered the last two packages.

But to be fair, PVK is a one-man operation. Occasionally, he has to sleep.
eastcoastsniper

Post by eastcoastsniper »

for 3 days! HA!

I own a business, and if I can't answer a phone call or e-mail promptly, I return the message within hours. Even if that message is to say no.
Actions speak louder than words Mr. Tourist. You are doing your best to sell josh's services, but like I said "one more to add to the list of who not to buy from"