A good word about Josh.

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
The Tourist

Re: A good word about Josh.

Post by The Tourist »

eastcoastsniper wrote:My bad, I thought I read that you rode an 883.
No prob, it could have been my own fault.

I remember I said that I had previously owned three Sporties, and further, that I wanted to buy a Nightster for a second bike.

I figure it this way. Lots of guys save money for years to buy a Sportster. It's not a bad thing to be accused of actually owning one... :lol:
Springmesser

Post by Springmesser »

I like Sportsters....always wanted a 750 like Evel Knievel's. 8)
The Tourist

Post by The Tourist »

Springmesser wrote:I like Sportsters....always wanted a 750 like Evel Knievel's. 8)
Harley does make a Sportster called the XR1200. It's about as close as you are going to get to Evel's bike without having a custom built. I believe his was made out of a HD flat-tracker.

The XR is a bit chubbier, but it is streetable. The figures seem to indicate that the bike is more of a "revver" than a "torquer." In fact, the Nightster has a bit of the edge in real-world grunt.

Now that the weather here in Wisconsin is getting warmer I do intend to take one for a spin. I'll let you know.
Springmesser

Post by Springmesser »

Remember "Then Came Bronson" His Sporty was way cool! 8) 8)
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Springmesser wrote:Remember "Then Came Bronson" His Sporty was way cool! 8) 8)
How many do you think really remember that show :?:
[the Michael Parks school of "slouch and mumble" school of acting] :wink:
Springmesser

Post by Springmesser »

Vagrant wrote:
Springmesser wrote:Remember "Then Came Bronson" His Sporty was way cool! 8) 8)
How many do you think really remember that show :?:
[the Michael Parks school of "slouch and mumble" school of acting] :wink:
I don't know?
But I sure remember it.
James Dean is who he was imitating...I think :?:
The Tourist

Post by The Tourist »

Vagrant wrote:How many do you think really remember that show?
I remember it well. The spooky "all seeing eye" on a red gas tank.

I read a bike magazine at the time the show came out. They had a huge trailor truck follow the film company. It contained two pristine Sportster bikes, on with knobby tires for the dirt, and a third smaller Italian bike made to look like a Sportster for really rough terrain.

The truck also contained a small machine shop and rows and rows of new chromed Sportster mufflers due to the numerous tip overs and road rash.

In real life I cannot imagine a cross counntry tour on a bike with a gas tank holding only 2.2 gallons of fuel.

The newer style tanks now hold 3.3 and look very similar. Love those oldies, a true childhood memory.
Springmesser

Post by Springmesser »

I bet I seen most of the biker movies they made....as kids we used to climb up into the loft of a old barn next to the drive inn and watch the movies. 8)
Btw...."Then Came Bronson" was a made for television show. :)
reggieh

Post by reggieh »

Hi,I read more than I post but you guys are talking about one of my favorite bikes.I have had two sportsters and one honda.My honda was a 1969 cb750.My freinds said I should mount guns on it because it looked like something from world war two.My first sporty was a 1989 xlch883 that I converted to 1200cc with ten to one pistons,spike single fire ignition,550 lift cams,etc.It was super fast and it was fun to outrun the big harleys.Nowdays I have a 2003 xl1200c.It is stock with the exception of dragpipes.It is still fun to outrun the big harleys because as you said it usually comes down to how fast you can shift(tip:after taking off in first gear,dont use the clutchlever; just pour on the throttle and shift without it.)and how much guts/stupidity you have.I have plenty of stupidity according to my girlfriend who refuses to ride with me.
The Tourist

Post by The Tourist »

I just like bikes, in general. Yes, I love my Harleys. But I'd still like to give this new version V-Max a good ride.

I always intended to buy a V-Max and never got around to it. Oh well, first lottery win goes for a Dodge Viper and Yamaha V-Max.
Phil Elmore

Post by Phil Elmore »

I've never had any issues ordering from PVK and Josh. As I recall, one time I got the wrong sheath when I placed an order for sundry items, and he sent me out the right one after I contacted him. There were no hassles.
- Phil Elmore

Publisher, The Martialist
For Those Who Fight Unfairly
The Tourist

Post by The Tourist »

And speaking about fast bikes, it looks like all of the engine mods on Betty really paid off!

It was sunny and warm when I left the gym. I got home to do some honey-dews, and flipped on the computer to the weather doppler. Not a cloud in the sky.

After I placed today's orders, I backed Betty out of the garage and hit the slab. I wasn't out there ten minutes when the sky got dark, and it wasn't my glasses!

About that same time I got a whiff of air that all bikers hate. Without warning the air got a chill, and you could smell that "earthy wormy" aroma that means rain for sure. And I hate being cold and wet.

I was between exit ramps, but I shot for the first one, and took the back way on Class A highways to the outer end of my subdivision. I think I got a rain drop on my mouth as I pulled into the driveway and slid into the garage. I do have to get a faster garage door opener.

The good news, Betty is still spotless, and I'm still dry.

Just goes to prove:

Straight pipes save lives.
Never marry a girl if her mother is louder than your Harley.
As for the Wisconsin State Patrol, just surrender. Your speeding ticket was being printed before the trooper flipped on the red lights.
And finally, that "wormy" smell might be your deodorant failing, but head home anyway.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Straight pipes save lives. No they don't according to the Motorcycle Safety Foundation which has been collecting data since 1969
Never marry a girl if her mother is louder than your Harley. I really can't address this but it does seem logical
As for the Wisconsin State Patrol, just surrender. Your speeding ticket was being printed before the trooper flipped on the red lights. Interesting point, would like to see some objective evidence to support it
And finally, that "wormy" smell might be your deodorant failing, but head home anyway. My apologies, I don't understand
Jim
The Tourist

Post by The Tourist »

The area in Wisconsin where I live is smack-dab in the center of "tornado alley." In 1977 I had the displeasure of trying to outrun a twister. I had to hunker down in an old gas station while I watched the little town's generator explode.

That chilled air has an odd smell. It smells like garden dirt to me.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

I have read accounts of people that have been close to tornados describe the smell the same way.

Jim