Out The Front spring loaded knives..

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Bigglesworth

Out The Front spring loaded knives..

Post by Bigglesworth »

Hi, im Bigglesworth and im new to this community of knife lovers,
ordered my self a few spring loaded out the fronitie's and they are awsome, just wondering if i use it to much do the inner components like the spring the catch the mechanism ever in ease of breaking ? its fine so far but im wondering later on down the track when i pass them on to my
grandchildren (im only young now though) if they will still be fine and hold that snappy snap they have! :roll: [/b]
When the cats away, the mice will play.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

I have heard some "experts" claim the Italian OTFs are only good for 300 cycles. I had one [an SKM Mini-Automatic] in my display case for two years. During that time everybody [and their brothers] fired it THOUSANDS of times. I finally sold it a year ago and the owner loves it and it's still going strong. I don't know if it will last until you have grand-children but your kids should enjoy it.
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Anything can break especially complicated things like in and outs. One thing if you are having trouble at some point and it doesn't seem to work carefully grab the blade and pull outwards till it engages itself back on the track spring. The good part is they are cheap so if they break you can just get another.
PB
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

welcome mr bigglesworth - i have read a few times on here about those springs breaking after time - if we are talking about the italian OTF's....

ps - are we related :shock:
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Re: Out The Front spring loaded knives..

Post by Bonzo »

Bigglesworth wrote: its fine so far but im wondering later on down the track when i pass them on to my grandchildren (im only young now though) if they will still be fine and hold that snappy snap they have! :roll: [/b]
Mr. Biggles,

Unless you paid at least $400 each, don't count on it.

Best Regard's,

Bonz
"A little rebellion now & then is a good thing"
Thomas Jefferson
J-man
Supreme ruler of Bali-island!

Post by J-man »

Bonz, you mean $250 each!
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

Welcome Bigglesworth. The cheaper otfs make great toys but is not a work knife. I have a few of the SKM ones, the spring is holding, but the tab that propells the blade has broken off.

J-Man, is that $250us or cdn :wink: . If our dollar keeps climbing it wont matter. :D
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

Welcome to our humble abode Mr. Bigg-lesworth :wink:
I believe the others have said all that needs to be said.
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.
J-man

Post by J-man »

Razor_54 wrote:Welcome Bigglesworth. The cheaper otfs make great toys but is not a work knife. I have a few of the SKM ones, the spring is holding, but the tab that propells the blade has broken off.

J-Man, is that $250us or cdn :wink: . If our dollar keeps climbing it wont matter. :D
True Razor... guess what.... MY IHT KNIFE ARRIVED :shock: :D
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

Hi Bigglesworth, the knife I'm about to refer to was not an otf it was an Italian stiletto and it belonged to a friend of mine some years ago and the reason I mention it is because even by the time it reached him it was ancient and in the time he owned it, it was clicked open more times than most knives would ever be opened in several life times and during that time the lock and catch showed no signs of wearing out. If that knife is any yardstick to judge others then you probably have nothing to worry about.
Post Script; Welcome aboard.
Regards
blackjack
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

Hey J-Man, glad to hear it. How is it? Still haven't heard anything, the wait is killing me. Mr. Arthas must be testing my patience. :wink:
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
J-man

Post by J-man »

Razor, it's my first 13"er so I can't compare it to another... I love it, it's prefectly straight and narrow. Has such a great snap as well.
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

J-man wrote:Razor, it's my first 13"er so I can't compare it to another... I love it, it's prefectly straight and narrow. Has such a great snap as well.
mr j-man - congrats on the new toy! now you will want bigger :wink:

i've got my eye on a 17" blonde to go with my 9,11,13,15......heheheheee......

mr razor - i feel your pain , i've been waiting for a package to arrive for 18 days.....i'm now fully through withdrawl, and ready to flex the plastic again :lol: take advantage of the strong loonie...