Damascus steel

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Damascus steel

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Perhaps I can shed some light on the damascus issue..
Most damascus used on production knives is "powder metal".
Powdered metals of dissimilar composition are "sintered" together in sealed crucibles uner very high heat. All of the production damascus I have seen was of a random pattern. None were the same. The production damascus has patterns very similar to forged damascus, and has the same edge-holding properties as well.
And that's all I have to say about that!
Bill DeShivs
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

mr bill deshivs,

thanks for that info, but in your opinion, which is better? you have stated that with production damascus every piece is different, to me that says a lot when talking about collectable items......especially if it has the same edge holding properties!
tanto

Post by tanto »

There are many different damascus (damasteel) patterns that can be reproduced to certain extent. Here is the link: http://www.damasteel.se/pattern/pattern.htm
and here on of the knives with damasteel blade. BTW the edge holding properties are excellent!!

David
---------------

My knives + watches
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

The powdered metal technique produces consistent results. The hand forged steel depends on the skill of the maker.
Bill