A simple poll (Carbon Steel Stiletto) !!!

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!

Would you buy a 9" Stiletto with carbon steel blade? The handle is your choice.

Yes
88%
No
12%

Total votes: 49

Furcs

Re: A simple poll (Carbon Steel Stiletto) !!!

Post by Furcs »

Seems like they'd both be best sellers, and wonder how difficult / expensive it would be to have this extra type of blade available to put in existing knife designs?

Obviously, there are at least a couple or more blade types available already for both leverlock and push-button style, and to me this would be a more popular blade than any others including ATS-34.

I don't know the answer to the workings of a knife business and how and why decisions are made, but like the rest of you I hope this will happen eventually.
Eddy

Post by Eddy »

yes
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

Any chance this is going to happen? I would buy two.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Carbon steel is usually less expensive but in this case they would have to have the blades made.
They already have stainless blades on hand.

If they were levers I would buy a stag,dark and a light horn....maybe a wood scaled number too.
Brass bolsters,stag scales and carbon blade. 8)
jimbeam

Post by jimbeam »

I'm so stupid I don't know the difference. Anybody help me out. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

jimbeam wrote:I'm so stupid I don't know the difference. Anybody help me out. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Carbon steel is just that- Contains a much higher carbon than stainless steel,holds an edge much better and it rusts. Many like aged carbon after a few years of use it gets a nice grayish patina.

Steels such as ATS-34,CPM S-30V,154CM and 440A and C series are all high carbon stainless and hold a great edge but some may argue not as well as some high grade carbon steels.

Someone with more knowledge may add to this but you get the general idea.

I personally would like an old school lever action with brass bolsters,stag scales and carbon steel blade. It would just get better with age.
But this topic is originally talking about a carbon blade on an Italian Stiletto.
My answer is still yes,I would definitely buy one with wood scales and flat grind.
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

Viking, I would buy a lever lock with carbon steel blade too.
jimbeam

Post by jimbeam »

I've always been a big fan of AT S-34 and personally would stick with it.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

jimbeam wrote:I've always been a big fan of AT S-34 and personally would stick with it.
It's a good steel made by Hitachi.
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

What frustrates me about the Italian knives is that most are as dull as butter knives and you would have to take one to a grinding wheel or a very coarse stone to sharpen it. The one exception is knives made by Frank Beltrame. They at least have somewhat of an edge. I hate to say this but the stilettos made in China and Tiawan have better blades as far as being able to sharpen.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Panzerfaust,

I would buy a lever lock with carbon steel blade too. They exist but the ones I'm familiar with are German. Hubertus makes one with imitation stag scales (often called the workingman's Hubie) which appears occasionally. Also, there is the Krupp anniversary model which is an older model (1975 I believe) but appears occasionally on SD auction for surprisignly little money. Additionally, many of the old German leverlocks are carbon steel.
Attachments
Krupp3.jpg
Krupp3.jpg (110.95 KiB) Viewed 5132 times
Krupp2.jpg
Krupp2.jpg (112.5 KiB) Viewed 5132 times
Krupp1.jpg
Krupp1.jpg (104.93 KiB) Viewed 5132 times
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

I think I made this comment before but it seems every time a knife comes along I want,I am out of extra cash.
I have missed two shots at buying one of those carbon KRUPP Hubies.
Still like to get one for the collection.

Even if a stiletto has a carbon steel blade it's cutting capabilities are still limited due to the nature of the knife.
Not much pressure could be applied to the back spring.
ThaiBoxer

Post by ThaiBoxer »

Yes, with a usable blade in stag.
FreeTheArmy

Post by FreeTheArmy »

I realize arthas has been busy helping out with everything Maniago, and I am grateful for all this assistance with the forum knives and the website work, and the assistance with individual correspondences. :D
I wonder if there has been any further information on the cabon steel stilettos :? :?:
"Everyone is your neighbor."