Does a flat grind fire has better action?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Erik131065

Does a flat grind fire has better action?

Post by Erik131065 »

I can remember someone here on the forum who stated that 13"flat grind blades had better action than the bayonet due to the lighter weight. Is that true? Sounds reasonable to me.
I"m still looking for a decent, fast firing 13 incher.
Erik131065

Re: Does a flat grind fire has better action?

Post by Erik131065 »

Sorry for the grammar, HAVE better action.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

I once thought a dagger grind might fire faster because of it's lighter weight.
When you look at how the springs are forged each one has a different thickness due to being hand made.
There are going to be differences not only in thickness but when the product is being ground and the fit and finish are tuned each spring will have it's own action.

When you look at the technical aspect a flat grind will weigh more than a bayonet grind. The bayonet tip is ground on both sides and there is a bevel grind at the tip whereas a flat grind has the most steel than any other grind.
The dagger would most likely be the lesser weight blade of any of your basic grinds.

Not an expert but if possible compare all three and you will see the flat grind blade is the most robust of the three basic grinds.
If anything(in theory) the flat would be the slowest but it really comes back to the spring action.
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

Actually, Dave, what you need to look at is the cross sectional area of the blade. The bigger the cross section, the heavier the weight and the more mass you need to move, I. E. slower. On that basis alone daggers and flat grinds are dead equal, 1/2 x height x thickness. Bayonets are heavier. Another way to think of this is that you start with a rectangular blank. A flat grinds both sides away so that it is only full thickness at the spine. A dagger does the same thing, but is full thickness at the midpoint. A bayonet has some area that is not ground away, therefore more material. Note, if the blade is hollow ground, it's like doing a flat, then dishing out to remove more material. The deeper the hollow, the lighter the blade. See?

Note, kick springs vary as does friction. Kinetic energy is mass x velocity squared. Equal springs provide equal energy. If you have a short and a long blade of equal mass, then velocity must be the same. If one has less mass, the velocity goes up. For equal shaped and proportioned blades, the longer will have more mass and be slower.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

Erik131065 wrote:I can remember someone here on the forum who stated that 13"flat grind blades had better action than the bayonet due to the lighter weight. Is that true? Sounds reasonable to me.
I"m still looking for a decent, fast firing 13 incher.
Depends on your definition of what defines better. If you mean more quickly, then make the blade as light as possible, a hollow ground dagger or swedge which tapers to the point. The sharper the taper, the lighter the blade.

Now if better is a hard kick, that may mean a thick and heavy blade. It's the old car vs. freight train argument. The train at one KPH has lots of energy because it is so heavy. The car at 100 KPH may have a fraction of the energy because it is so light. My hardest kicking knife is a 13" swedge that is 1/4" thick, my fastest knife is an 8 cm mini.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
Erik131065

Post by Erik131065 »

Well, that makes sense. Thank you all
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Personally I've never handeled a 13" stiletto that opened fast, or hard. That's why I didn't buy many of them, always prefered the 9's just for that reasons. Not saying they aren't out there I just haven't seen any.
2024 candidate for president