Unexpected problem.

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Rave

Unexpected problem.

Post by Rave »

I recently purchased a Frank B stiletto from a private party that looked really good and operated quite well except for one thing,it is extremly difficult to release the blade from the open position with the pivoting bolster.
I guess the pin on the back of the blade and the hole in the back spring don't line up properly? :cry:
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: Unexpected problem.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Oil the bolster where it contacts the liner.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Rave

Post by Rave »

Thanks for the advice but I already did so with Rem-oil,no luck.
Very,very,hard to release blade.
Rave

Post by Rave »

I'm not too keen on takeing metal from the pin but if I push the blade down and it releases easier I might take a dab from the back of the pin or vice-versa.
I really don't know but I figure there are some that are far more knowlegible than I,that doesn't take too much as when it comes to knife work I am a novice.
Any help appreciated as this is an other wise nice knife. :oops:
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

That's not usually a problem. Are you sure it's not peened too tightly? Does the bolster move freely?
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Rave

Post by Rave »

Very good question,the bolster does not move freely,but when ingaged with pin it is almost locked.
I will check for peening,could be,thanks,Jim.
The bolster appears to be dragging on the horn handle to the point of leaving a groove in it,as I keep operating it the groove gets deeper and the bolster operates better.
The pin does not appear to be at a 90 degree angle to the blade but slightly forward and peened slightly that way also.
Looks like this is not the best example of Frank B's knives like the perfect one I bought new.
Guess I bought some one else's problem this time. :(
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

If the bolster is dragging on the handle, just keep working it. Eventually it will wear in.
Rave

Post by Rave »

It looks that way,thanks again for the advice.
I believe I am going to take my diamond hone and touch up the front of the pin slightly also. :)
It gets worse,after working the bolster a lot I,after closer examination see where the bolster is also wearing a groove in the brass liner behind it!
Looks like I got a real lemon this time. :evil:
Rave

Post by Rave »

O.K.,I am tired of fooling woith this otherwise nice honey horn 11" bayonet stiletto.
You may have been following my problem on this forum and if you think you can fix it you can have that chance.
It will be posted on buy and sell.Thanks,Rave :(
Disregard,I fixed it. :D :D
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

How did you fix it?
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
Rave

Post by Rave »

Heh,heh,I'll never tell. :lol:
Just kidding,I pried the upper rear portion of the bolster out a bit with a small screw driver,did the trick! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I guess to sum it all up I purchased some one elses problem that the sold under the pretense that it was with out problems,I hope to avoid that in the vuture by buying new from dealers or folks that have a good rep in the future.
It's my own fault but it still sticks in my craw! :x :x