A new Maniago

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
The Reverend Sharp

Re: A new Maniago

Post by The Reverend Sharp »

I dont know if this has been covered but there doesnt seem to be much choice in the Traditional 11'' Stiletto in a High End Quality .

There is the Walt's latama and...............................

Campolin et al are making their beautiful 13s but where do we find an 11 except for the WL?

Something with a thick Blade and Solid Bolsters.

There has to be room for one in the medium price range too................hmmm, maybe I'll do it myself !!

Just forget everthing i said ok...................... :?
exumer2687

Post by exumer2687 »

I'd just really like to see a well made swivel bolster built like the originals with nickel silver bolsters that have brass lined ears, a liner soldered to the swivel bolster, nickel buttons and swedge blades. Theres some nice ones out there now but even the Walts knives do not have full liners, I'm not crazy about the solid nickel bolsters, just still doesnt look right compared to the originals that had brass liners shaped to the bolsters. The scales on the new knives are also always so blocky, it would be nice to see the smooth rounded slim scales like the old knives, and a slimmer profile while closed, I've noticed the blade really stands out of the handle while closed on new stilettos, on my old ones they have a much thinner profile while closed. A ringpull stiletto in smaller sizes would be nice too, or a fulcrum release stiletto built like the classics.
hollowdweller

Post by hollowdweller »

exumer2687 wrote:I'd just really like to see a well made swivel bolster built like the originals with nickel silver bolsters that have brass lined ears, a liner soldered to the swivel bolster, nickel buttons and swedge blades. Theres some nice ones out there now but even the Walts knives do not have full liners, I'm not crazy about the solid nickel bolsters, just still doesnt look right compared to the originals that had brass liners shaped to the bolsters. The scales on the new knives are also always so blocky, it would be nice to see the smooth rounded slim scales like the old knives, and a slimmer profile while closed, I've noticed the blade really stands out of the handle while closed on new stilettos, on my old ones they have a much thinner profile while closed. A ringpull stiletto in smaller sizes would be nice too, or a fulcrum release stiletto built like the classics.
What he said!
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

a liner soldered to the swivel bolster
How would it swivel?
The scales on the new knives are also always so blocky, it would be nice to see the smooth rounded slim scales like the old knives
Yeah, what's the deal with that? I like the rounded ones much better. I like when a cross section of the handle is almost a perfect circle.
DonC

Post by DonC »

I have a 15" and 18" AGA with swivel bolsters and both have the swivel lined with brass. Not a common practice but it can be done usually with brass much thinner than the regular liner.
Sorry for the poor quality of photos. Done on the kitchen counter.

Edge on.

Looking at the bottom of the swivel bolster slightly displaced showing the cavity produced by lining.

DonC
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

DonC wrote:I have a 15" and 18" AGA with swivel bolsters and both have the swivel lined with brass.
That must be what he meant: one of those bolsters with it's own little liner (separate from the main handle liner) behind it.
exumer2687

Post by exumer2687 »

Yes. That is what I was referring to. The swivel bolster on all of my knives has its own liner soldered to it. I don't care for the newer knives that don't have fully covered bolster ears.. looks so cheap
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

In the parlance, "fully lined bolsters" which is the next best thing to "solid bolsters". This is mostly an issue with pivot bolsters, but unlined guard ears and stamped bolsters always look cheap to me.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
exumer2687

Post by exumer2687 »

ILikeStilettos wrote:In the parlance, "fully lined bolsters" which is the next best thing to "solid bolsters". This is mostly an issue with pivot bolsters, but unlined guard ears and stamped bolsters always look cheap to me.
To be honest I dont particularly care for the solid bolsters. Its something only seen on modern knives and not really as streamlined in appearance as a knife that has the bolsters with full cut liners soldered to them, and a small liner soldered to the swivel. Its that same "everything holds everything together" construction principle that is used nowadays on the italian stilettos, only with solid bolsters instead of hollow stamped. I have seen those Walt's classic knives with the solid nicke bolsters without full cut liners soldered to em and a few of them I've seen still have slightly crooked bolsters and the same issues that the hollow stamped bolsters have being as the scale is what is holding them in place. If the scale is not perfect in length then the bolster will not sit perfectly. If there is any ONE thing i would love to see on the new knives, its full cut brass liners soldered to the bolsters.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I doubt you'll ever see it.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
David76

Post by David76 »

I wounder if they would do it upon request.
lance

Post by lance »

Id love to see a new trapdoor,or fulcrum release too,but to me the one o would like to see is the oval button coop!! With the midevil gaurds just a beautiful old knife,every time I read the art of the switchblade,I get stuck fantasizing about owning one,It's a nice thought redesigning and reissued antique auto designs,but for me the charm of hunting and aqureing vintage autos thatare still in working order,is the fact that they have stood the test of time.despite all the odds.thats wht makes them special.
David76

Post by David76 »

I couldn't agree more! The trapdoor needs to make a comeback. There are so many of us that would be thrilled about it.
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

Guys, you know the trapdoor was NOT a great design. Particularly when you had to use the door to push on the blade tip to close it. I'll put it on my list and draw it up, maybe Maniago will build it. They were all small, too, like 9" overall. Wouldn't you like to have an 11" or a 13"?
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
NicVik6

Post by NicVik6 »

I would love to see these designs come back with tighter tolerances!!! $250-500 price range, and I'll join the Rizzy/trap door of the month club.