About cost difference FB11"Picklock to FB11" Swivel Bolsters

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Switch King

About cost difference FB11"Picklock to FB11" Swivel Bolsters

Post by Switch King »

hello,
can anyone of you explain why a 11 "Stiletto Picklock with Buffalo Horn of Frank Beltrame with Steel Bolsters is so much more expensive than a 11" Swivel Bolsters Stiletto?
Is there a particular reason for this?
Would be Great if someone can explain it to me.
Greetings from Europe
ILikeStilettos

Re: About cost difference FB11"Picklock to FB11" Swivel Bols

Post by ILikeStilettos »

Because it's a numbered limited edition and because he can.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
DonC

Post by DonC »

It appears that the 2014 series knives from Frank Beltrame are all "Limited Edition" picklocks. They're also about 50 to 60 dollars more than the 2013 and before series of knives the same length with swivel bolsters.
One dealer I'm familiar with was kind of shocked at the price increase for the new 2014 line.
I had the chance to look at one of the 2014's in person and, while it could have been just an isolated case of the chance one rough one out of the batch, I was a little put off by the quality of the fit. Nice enough materials but more fit problems than I'd seen on previous examples from him.
A very real chance that what you're seeing is a "market correction" on the pricing and it's just more expensive to produce the knives now.

DonC
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

The picklock bolsters are soldered to the liners. On standard knives the bolsters are held in place by the pins, and kept from moving (sort of) by the fit of the scales.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
METALGOD

Post by METALGOD »

Switch King wrote:hello,
can anyone of you explain why a 11 "Stiletto Picklock with Buffalo Horn of Frank Beltrame with Steel Bolsters is so much more expensive than a 11" Swivel Bolsters Stiletto?
Hi as a dealer for Frank i can kinda explain difference . Franks standard classic model are made with stainless steel bolsters and straight cut liners. picklocks are made little different with full cut liners with nickel/silver bolsters that are soldered to the liners, the backspring locktab is made slightly different on picklock model so you can pick lock easy, also the tempering of the picklock backspring is different so easy to pick , picklocks are made with different materials and more time is involved in making process this is why the picklock model cost more than the classic model .
Thanks Bernie *** FOLGORE KNIVES USA ***
Danny Bailey

Post by Danny Bailey »

METALGOD wrote:
Switch King wrote:hello,
Hi as a dealer for Frank i can kinda explain difference . Franks standard classic model are made with stainless steel bolsters and straight cut liners. picklocks are made little different with full cut liners with nickel/silver bolsters that are soldered to the liners, the backspring locktab is made slightly different on picklock model so you can pick lock easy, also the tempering of the picklock backspring is different so easy to pick , picklocks are made with different materials and more time is involved in making process this is why the picklock model cost more than the classic model .
Thanks Bernie *** FOLGORE KNIVES USA ***

Excellent info Bernie. Really appreciated.
Switch King

Post by Switch King »

Hi,
I thank you all for the good information!
I will now buy a Picklock. I'm really looking forward to it.
Greetings from Europe
METALGOD

Post by METALGOD »

Switch King wrote:Hi,
I thank you all for the good information!
I will now buy a Picklock. I'm really looking forward to it.

just a heads up Frank makes 2 differnt thickness 11" picklocks 3.5mm & 5mm , the 5mm are made for Latama / Walter Haluca and have the cat logo on blade . if you can find a 5mm model they are Awesome stilettos, the 3.5 & 5mm are both awesome knives , the 3.5 are nice but the 5mm will really impress you if you never seen them :) .
Thanks bernie ******* FOLGORE KNIVES USA ******