Any way to get a good edge on an AKC stainless stiletto?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
krakenten

Re: Any way to get a good edge on an AKC stainless stiletto?

Post by krakenten »

If you're too old for martial arts, how are you going to be a knife fighter?

The truth of using a knife in a fight is that you must strike often, and at vital spots-you want to make blood flow. I've been stabbed, it really doesn't hurt at the time-it hurts later(oh, boy, does it!). Stab wounds are quite serious(old proverb, 'the edge wounds, the point kills') but you need an effect right away to stop the attack.

Bullet wounds will induce shock and debilitating blood loss-there is a lot of energy vented by a GSW. A stab wound can go un-noticed for quite a while, often, the stabee thinks he was punched. Not what you need for self-defense.

Now, a laceration or incision will hurt right away(most of the time, and distract the attacker. Seeing that red stuff running out will sometimes cause the assailant to break off the attack and go for medical assistance. Or at least, to decline to be cut again.

Trouble is, many of the assailants of today(and in the past) are so whacked out on drugs or alcohol that they won't go into shock, or feel much pain. It takes them a while to realize that they've been hurt, and a common reaction is to fly into a rage.

Trust me, many years of experience in Baltimore taught me a lot about interpersonal violence. Often, shooting doesn't stop the attack until the attacker bleeds out. A knife is a fairly serious defensive weapon against a rational attacker-often the threat of cutting can back one off, as he realizes that the wound will interfere with his plans.

The irrational assailant will not acknowledge the weapon-not even a shotgun! Often he wants to take it for himself. That's one you'll have to drop the hammer on. He'll mock that knife, even if it should be a machete.

Been there, done that, got the scars, so, please listen, OK?

If you must use a knife, be aware, it may not work. You'll need a sharp one-and a bayonet ground Stiletto won't do, the geometry of the blade is all wrong. Get a flat grind, or a swedge grind, better yet, a Leverletto +. Consider a hunting knife blade, wide and flat-like a leverlock.

Trust me, I was a Baltimore lawman, and that's the advanced course. I'm retired, and I don't carry a gun any more-so what to rely on? I carry a Cold Steel walking stick-no, not a sword cane! with a lump of steel- for a grip. A crack on the shins, on the knee, a hard jab in the belly....he who cannot breathe cannot fight, likewise, not being able to walk for a while makes it easy for you to get away. In many fights on the street, I never saw a whack across the shins fail to stop a fight, even if the subject didn't seem to feel it. The legs shut down, fight is over. A follow up to the thighs seals the deal, and if need be, go for the knees. Next day will be wheelchair city for the mook.

Good luck, you may need it.
Life has no value, Death has a price
Monkeyleg

Post by Monkeyleg »

Thanks for the seasoned advice.
krakenten

Post by krakenten »

My pleasure. Stay safe!
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

Mr. Krakenten,

Thank you for taking the time to post your mos' interesting observations, useful information and sage advice. You have performed a 'public service'...
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

I have to go along with Karkenten. I was a NYC LEO for many years and almost always when a stab wound was given during a fight, the person stabbed thought they were punched. It was very rare that a stab wound would stop a aggressor, in fact it often made them more aggressive! They may have bleed to death later, but they fought harder when they knew they were cut....There are many self defense methods that work well. Most require you to practice them so they become a trained response to an attack.
Monkeyleg

Post by Monkeyleg »

dumb post
Monkeyleg

Post by Monkeyleg »

Well, I've been given a hands-on lesson on sharpening. I got an edge on the AKC, but not a razor edge. I tried a little cheap Japanese flat blade switchblade I'd had lying around, and the flatter angle gave that a much better edge. Still not a razor. I imagine a different metal would do better. Maybe I'll play with an old Buck knife.

Now I understand a little better what you've all been talking about.
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

I have a few standard blade stilletos in ats-34 steel that take an edge very well and almost razor sharp. Maybe you can give these a try. Bought mine from SKM.
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
krakenten

Post by krakenten »

You don't WANT a razor edge!

A razor edge, useful for grooming or perhaps surgical procedures, will very quickly turn in use. Many people think that a knife is dull and needs a stone, when it simply needs a few licks with a steel to reset the edge. A knife edge is a foil, and like any foil, it will bend.

I grew up around butchers and meat cutters, one thing they knew was how to sharpen a blade and keep it sharp. They used the steel after every half dozen cuts(professional meat cutters use blades tempered somewhat softer than sporting knives, makes it easier to keep them sharp.)

To test your edge, lightly draw it along a thumbnail. If it 'drags', you have a proper edge for cutting flesh. When using a knife, a good rule is sharpen(with your steel) cut-and use the steel several times for long jobs, like skinning, then give it a few licks when you sheathe it.

A razor edge will turn on fabric-if it should be several layers, and certainly on bone. The practical edge will not.

When I was a sprout, I honed my blades shaving sharp. Then wondered why they dulled so quickly. I also discovered that there is such a thing as too sharp. I was talking on speakerphone, and took up a 12'' Tramontino machete and a Gerber Honesteel. I absent mindedly honed away-and when I hung up, I discovered a blade so sharp it cut deeply at a mere touch.

I finally ended up putting it between two thick cardboards and taping it-the damn thing was too sharp to use safely, it was a foot long filet knife!

In all the years I worked the street, I never took a sharp knife from a criminal-save once, and that guy was an auto mechanic who eviscerated his estranged ex-GF with a Buck Knife.

A sharp blade is something you often need, and a dull one is dangerous. A blunt knife requires a lot of force to use, and it may run away. If it does, beware the point!

A final point-want a sharp edge? There are many guides on the market, many of them work very well. But if you put your forefinger tip on the spine of the blade, by the end of the grip and draw your blade along as though you were trying to shave a bit off the sharpener, you get a good edge. Keeps the angle consistent.

Nobody ever tells you that, I don't know why, because it works. Try it on some knife you don't much like, while you get the knack(usually takes a few minutes, at most.)

After that, no more dull knives.
Monkeyleg

Post by Monkeyleg »

Thanks again for the solid advice, krakenten . I think mine are sharp enough, then.