WHY is a left handed stiletto SOOOO expensive.

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
dark2023

WHY is a left handed stiletto SOOOO expensive.

Post by dark2023 »

I dont see why a left handed stiletto would be so expensive. It's not like it's any more or less material, and it's not like it's any different (in that respect), expect that everything is reversed. As far as I can see, the only reason they are so much is because they will be rare.

I've been looking at having one made, it's gonna be hand made anyway, so why does it matter which way the blade faces or opens?
This is the magic incantation congress uses to constantly violate the 10th Amendment - "...the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce of such shall be prohibited"
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Re: WHY is a left handed stiletto SOOOO expensive.

Post by Vagrant »

Very logical reason - like anything in "mass production" if you make MORE it costs LESS :idea: only 10% of people are correct handed so, demand is low.
Most proper handed people are dexterous enough to operate a right-handed knife with ease so, demand is very low :wink:
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

My fiance can operate a right handed knife, she can even do it left handed (upside down). But, since she seems to have quite an interest in the stieletto switchblade, I've promised her an Italian stiletto made specially for her (left handed).

I'm just a bit miffed that a left handed stiletto is more expensive. If they are being hand made, it's not any harder to make a left handed than a right handed knife. And demand is lower because there are less left handed people, and very few people seem to want a left handed switch, there is little demand hence they are not common.

Because of this it seems quite arbitrary to make them more expensive. Yes, there are few (less supply), but again, it's because there is little to no demand for them. (seems like making them more expensive is just shooting your self in the foot. That just makes people who would otherwise buy one, not. It seems like they'd just rather you get a right handed. It's almost like there is some kind of conspiricy against left handed stiletto lovers) :x
This is the magic incantation congress uses to constantly violate the 10th Amendment - "...the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce of such shall be prohibited"
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Making a left-handed [boster release] would require new/different parts [bolters/scales] at added epense :idea:
WHY bother ????
Any left-handed person can open one FASTER and more securely than a righty :idea:
Everyone has an index and middle finger[one for saftry/one for button] This does reposition the knife, in yuor hand, just enough to give a much more secure grip]:wink:
With a leverlock the difference is DRAMATIC :!: [A LEFTY must have designed these] :wink:
Anytime I'm hungry [at the flea] I bet a righty, I can open a LL or Stiletto FASTER than he can :idea: In the past, I've had a stroke and numerous hand injuries BUT, I've NEVER bought lunch :lol:
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

Still, I'd like to get her one meant for her. And couldn't you just reverse the side you put the scales on?
Anytime I'm hungry [at the flea] I bet a righty, I can open a LL or Stiletto FASTER than he can :idea: In the past, I've had a stroke and numerous hand injuries BUT, I've NEVER bought lunch
I might be able to beat or at least tie with you.
I usually hold the knife with my ring and pinky fingers and press it into my hand. This way my thumb dosent support any of the weight of the knife. This gives a great grip, but that's the common part (most people who own stilettos seem to pick this up quickly). The uncommon thing is that I move the safety with the middle of my thumb, near the first joint. When I do it like this I can apply a slight constant pressure with the tip of my thumb. When the safety is at the bottom the thumb lines up with the button and since I'm applying a constant pressure it opens almost instantly.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

The scales have to be made especially for a left handed version. You can't just reverse the parts, either.
The blade has to be drilled through, new sear fitted-and this is not including making the back bolster the swivel (most don't do this.)
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

I'm not talking about converting but rather making it like that from the beginning.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Then Vagrant's comments apply.
It would require all new tooling and dies.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
SRD115

Post by SRD115 »

Hey Dark: If I recall correctly, Rick who sells on the SD auction site has had a number of lefty stillettos up for auction in the past. 9 inchers. You might contact him thru that site and see if he has any in stock. I picked up a FB 9" in rams horn from him some time ago. Just a thought.........
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Yes Rick had some Frank B 9 " ones as my friend got a few from him a few years back. He bought a horn and stag one I think for $70 each when Rick was selling normal ones for $60 then.....
RSD100

Post by RSD100 »

Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

WOW $ 175! I think he will remain with them in stock for a bit...As I said Rick sold them for $70.....
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

Yeah, thats what I said.
horizonod

Post by horizonod »

We have purchased some leftys because so many customers ask about them but they just gather dust.

Al was right on about why they are more costly. If leftys bought more maybe the production #s would go up and $ would come down.
“Truth will always be truth, regardless of lack of understanding, disbelief or ignorance.”

HORIZON BLADEWORKS: http://www.nicnac.net . LOW KEY perveyor of HIGH TECH cutlery.
hogwild
Location: Proudly chasing the dollar to "share" with parasites

Post by hogwild »

I'm ambidextrous and always carry my knives in my left pocket and my cellphone in my right. Seems like knives work fine for me. Never had any issues with knife opening or closing. Leverlocks do open better lefty.
The worst evils which mankind has ever had to endure were inflicted by bad governments.
Ludwig von Mises