My new Shell Puller is getting stuck

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
cubegleamer

My new Shell Puller is getting stuck

Post by cubegleamer »

I just picked up a Massaro Shell Puller from myswitchblade.com. Sometimes it doesn't open all the way. It seems to have some resistance around 11:00, that's where the blade is stopping. I can tell when I close it that there's a lot of friction there. I put a little gun oil on it but it still sticks sometimes. Do you think this just needs to break in a little... or should I send it back?
Viking45

Re: My new Shell Puller is getting stuck

Post by Viking45 »

It is very typical of lever lock knives to do this.
When you are ready to fire it press the lever with a very "sharp" downward thrust not just a casual pressing of the lever.
Many levers are picky this way and two more things I might add-
Place a couple drops of a good oil where the blade meets the bolsters and work the blade back and forth a few times allowing the oil to soak in.

Next- When you close the blade always press the lever down,push the blade in and then release the lever.
This reduces wear on the sear (the little pin that holds the blade open/closed.
cubegleamer

Post by cubegleamer »

Thanks viking, that seems to have worked. I worked in a little gun oil w/teflon and adjusted the way I was pushing the lever. I've fired it about 60 times with no issues.
wild zebra

Post by wild zebra »

I will add to push down closer to the tip of the lever on stubborn leverlocks.
h1942

Post by h1942 »

wild zebra wrote:I will add to push down closer to the tip of the lever on stubborn leverlocks.
I've had that problem tis a correct analogy. Hank
john

Post by john »

Hello cubegleamer,
I'm glad your sticky problem worked itself out. You have a knife made by a very well known craftsman with a reputation for making quality knives, but you probably already know that. I have four GOM's and their great knives.
You made an excellent choice, Congratulation on your new knife,
John
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
krakenten

Post by krakenten »

Again, I recco0mend a few drops of Dri-Slide Bike Aid, it's slippery and it persists. It also won't gather lint.

Put some on, wipe off the excess, let the petroleum distillate carrier, which seems to be a lot like lighter fuel,evaporate. The slipperiness long time.

Try it, you'll like it,
Life has no value, Death has a price
Minotaur

Post by Minotaur »

I picked up my SKM 8" Hunter shellpuller today for a few flicks, and the same reason you are experiencing inspired me to "pop in". Something else you might want to try is always hold it with a firm grip. If one were to hold a lot of leverlocks out there with a light grip, the lockup isn't as solid. This goes for conventional side openers too - in my experience - the lockup gives greater satisfaction. I took my "Hunter" to deer camp this year - kind of as an afterthought - threw it in the gear bag. I pulled it out to show around the other hunters, and the thing wouldn't even open properly. Embarassing, especially when you have legit Frank B., Hubertus, Weidmannsheil shellpuller, etc. ratchets sitting at home. I put the first gun oil (I knew better) someone passed me onto the sweet spot, and it made it worse. Problem worked itself out though after a thorough cleaning and proper lubing. It just worked for me 9 out of 10 ten times...still not 100%. No, it's not a GOM, but they have to have their similarities.

And BTW I cannot even get the leverlock I mention above to function whilst opening it left handed. Strangest thing....
A good knife is like a trusty old friend.
Midnight Drums

Post by Midnight Drums »

I had a Hubertus Guardian that was brand new, doing that.
I oiled it to no avail....then Bill DeShivs told me to wipe off excess oil, and put a small amount of automotive lithium grease on the tang, where the backspring contacts it, and work it in a few times.

That knife about flys out of my hand, every time I fire it!!!
It's as fast as my Protech "The Don" knife!

Mike
krakenten

Post by krakenten »

I have to try lithium grease, sounds interesting.

There was a fine lockback knife made by a sadly defunct Sheffield firm that had "Oil the Joint" stamped into the tang. Still good advice.

Has anyone tried Varsol for cleaning out the Black Knife Mung that fouls so many otherwise satisfactory knives?
Life has no value, Death has a price
wicollector

Post by wicollector »

I just repaired 5 of these and in all case's the pivot pin was causing it to stop haft way . I replaced the pins and they all open very hard now and didnt need oil ,grease or any lube.
Attachments
Picture 475.jpg
Picture 475.jpg (118.63 KiB) Viewed 7969 times
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

I love the little white stiletto on the left
This is the magic incantation congress uses to constantly violate the 10th Amendment - "...the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce of such shall be prohibited"
wicollector

Post by wicollector »

none are mine just one of about 100 that need work for one reason or the other.