New and different knife design. You'll flip!

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
horizonod

New and different knife design. You'll flip!

Post by horizonod »

Hey Guys. Here is a sneak peek at a new knife design by Asheville Steel / Paragon. The mechanism is not spring assisted or automatic. It's more a gravity knife but opperates somewhat like a bali. It's a completely different release as far as we are aware.

Here are the preliminary renditions. There will be a crossing "mummy wrap" pattern machined into the frame and there will be a pocket clip for tip down carry. It will carry fairly deep in the pocket with just the "feet" protruding above the pocket for easy access.

I'm excited about this one. Hard coat annodized 6061-T6 chassis and probably an S30V or 154CPM blade in satin or DLC.

Your feedback is encouraged so please tell us what you think.

Thanks. Nick

ImageImage
Last edited by horizonod on Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“Truth will always be truth, regardless of lack of understanding, disbelief or ignorance.”

HORIZON BLADEWORKS: http://www.nicnac.net . LOW KEY perveyor of HIGH TECH cutlery.
sicboy13

Re: New and different knife design. You'll flip!

Post by sicboy13 »

I'd love to see it, do you have pics, sketches, or anything?

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. - Keyser Soze
john

Post by john »

Wow :shock: Very cool design :!: I like it a lot. Any idea on it's release date :?: How about cost :?: Looks a little like a baseball bat or some underwater creature.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Nice :!:
sicboy13

Post by sicboy13 »

oh wow, my work internet must have blocked the pictures! Now I feel stupid. Looks interesting!

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. - Keyser Soze
jmack1944

Post by jmack1944 »

:|
tr4252
Special Agent Oy Oy Seven

Post by tr4252 »

Looks pretty interesting, Nick.

Tom
Is it...Tomorrow....Or just the end of time?
BTB0923

Post by BTB0923 »

Its kinda hard to form an opinion without seeing how the mechanism works, but I'm definitely intrigued. Its good to know there are companies like yours that are still coming up with new designs.
Click here for the most recently updated list of movies covered in our "movie switchblades" thread...
http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php ... 08#p216408
Jody

Post by Jody »

WOWWY WOW WOW, I would like to know how much they will sell for and when / where I can get one.
Very sleek interesting design. I love it!
Cragar

Post by Cragar »

That looks very nice. What a great looking daggar!

Cragar
Shiver

Post by Shiver »

That is an awesome looking blade Horizonod! I too would like to know more. Am a bit puzzled how a gravity style knife could incorperate a bali action? Can you tell us anything else about the opening design? I'm guessing that maybe if you shift the handles sideways, then you can flip the blade out? Whatever, it does look really cool and can't wait to see more.
horizonod

Post by horizonod »

Here is how it works.

The body of the knife is completely closed around the blade with no gaps. When you squeeze the release the two halves of the body seperate, center the blade and allow the blade to float freely. A slight flick or pointing downward allows the blade to swing out into position. Once at dead center it stops. Release the button and the two halves of the handle close back around the blade while locking it into position both intenally via 2 lock steel lock pins and externally via the frame closing back around the blade. It's pretty simple in concept but a little trickier to make work.

It's NOT going to be a toy. It's a SOLID design with great support of the blade. Better than most knives because the frame acts as a secondarry locking system.

It's very slick, sleek and smooth. You cannot look uncool deploying it or closing it like you can with a butterfly knife. It also opens and closes easily with one hand and a short quick flick.

When open the knife looks like a fixed blade, when closed it looks like,.....well, anything BUT a knife. That gives it that "covert" factor.

We are calling the knife "The Pharaoh" because it resembles a sarcophagus or a mummy. The final knife will have criss cross patterns to resemble a mummy wrap and improve grip. We might turn the Paragon Phoenix logo around on the button so it resemble a Sphinx to further enhance the "Pharaoh" image.

The Pharaohs were also a street gang in the movie American Graffitti. I'm sure the name "Pharaoh" conjures up imiges in many guys minds. The name has a "recognition" or "feel" to it. It fits the knife in so many ways and is familiar.

I'm pretty stoked about this one. It's a unique design and a new release style that I think will apeal to gadget guys everywhere. It's kind of a switchblade and kind of a butterfly and kind of a gravity knife all in one.

The other thing is that from a legal standpoint it doesn't fit the deffinition of a switchblade or gravity knife as described in some state laws. Things are just different enough to make it's illegality questionable.

So now that it's more clear how it opperates what do you think?
“Truth will always be truth, regardless of lack of understanding, disbelief or ignorance.”

HORIZON BLADEWORKS: http://www.nicnac.net . LOW KEY perveyor of HIGH TECH cutlery.
sicboy13

Post by sicboy13 »

I, personally, do not care for bali's or gravity knives, but this does peak my interest. I was able to get a perfect visual in my mind from your description. Am I out of line to ask approx. cost?

BTB0923

Post by BTB0923 »

Great description, I'm sold! Sounds very cool. It looks like it might be great for self-defense as an impact weapon when closed too, like a kubaton.
Click here for the most recently updated list of movies covered in our "movie switchblades" thread...
http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php ... 08#p216408
Bobby Cadillac

Post by Bobby Cadillac »

Looks like a Paul knife to me...

bobby c :shock: