Italian Trapdoor OTF Stiletto - looking for detailed info

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
steeltoe1978

Italian Trapdoor OTF Stiletto - looking for detailed info

Post by steeltoe1978 »

Hello everyone, first time poster here. I have a few Italian Trapdoor OTF Stilettos. Anyway, I'm fairly certain that someone on here, at some point, has had to take one of these knives apart for repair since they weren't made too well. Hopefully, someone out there has some pictures of the insides of these knives, as I'm VERY interested in how they work and have no interest in taking mine apart to find out (mine are both mint). Please post any info (pictures especially) of how the internals of these knives are set up. I understand the basic operation, but would like to see the catch mechanism that holds the blade locked against the compressed tiny spring (I'm assuming) in the bottom of the knife, the mechanism that keeps the blade locked in place (although wiggly) after it has been fired, and how these internals are pinned/kept in place. If someone knows the answer, but does not have any pictures, a somewhat detailed drawing (if you could draw one, scan it, and post it) would be much appreciated. Thank you!
BTB0923

Re: Italian Trapdoor OTF Stiletto - looking for detailed info

Post by BTB0923 »

I've also been curious about this for a while. Asked this same question in a different thread and got no responses. I hope someone with knowledge on the subject sees this one.

Welcome to the forum btw. Some pics of your trapdoor otfs would be appreciated.
Click here for the most recently updated list of movies covered in our "movie switchblades" thread...
http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php ... 08#p216408
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

They use two button rockers that are much like a standard picklock button rocker, but longer.
Both are situated under the same button, and they are simultaneously depressed. One locks the blade closed, one locks it open.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
BTB0923

Post by BTB0923 »

Thanks Bill. Does that mean if you press the button and hold it down upon firing the knife the blade will not lock in the open position?

It would be great if an owner of one of these would record a vid and post it on youtube. I've never seen one of these knives in action before.
Click here for the most recently updated list of movies covered in our "movie switchblades" thread...
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

The sears should be staggered so that the one that locks the blade open requires more button pressure than the other. The "open" sear should actually drag on the blade tang as it opens. This allows it to lock open more reliably.
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
BTB0923

Post by BTB0923 »

Interesting, thanks again Bill. Even after hearing a description of the mechanism I'd still like to see a picture or a diagram of the internals if anybody has one and would like to put it up.
steeltoe1978

Post by steeltoe1978 »

Bill, THANK YOU for the info... but I'm "certain" that you or someone else must have photos.

BTB0923, this is for you... my first youtube video... take it easy on me with the comments, please.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9SusZpjSrQ
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Sorry, I don't have pictures.
steeltoe1978

Post by steeltoe1978 »

Bill DeShivs wrote:Sorry, I don't have pictures.
Tell you what... I have a trapdoor knife that is in need of repair... I'll send it to you for repair if you will thoroughly document it (pictures) while it is being repaired. If we need to discuss the cost of this, please email me (I understand that repair cost should not be discussed here). This would be an opportunity to expand the knowledge of everyone on the forum while also repairing my knife (win for me, win for you, win for everyone here). Thank you for hosting such an awesome website (I believe that this is your site, but I'm new here). Please let me know.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

We can do that, but it will have to be some time in the future. I'm way behind on my work. In a couple of weeks I'll have more time to catch up.
This is not my web site. It's hosted by SKM. They're great people.
steeltoe1978

Post by steeltoe1978 »

Bill DeShivs wrote:We can do that, but it will have to be some time in the future. I'm way behind on my work. In a couple of weeks I'll have more time to catch up.
This is not my web site. It's hosted by SKM. They're great people.
Bill, thank you for the reply. I completely understand that you're busy. To the people at SKM... thanks a ton for this website! Anyway, Bill, when you're ready, I'll send you my knife...and you could possibly make "switchblade history" by documenting (videotaping) it being taken apart and posting the video of what you did... please contact me when you're ready to move forward with fixing and documenting the fixing of a "rare" knife... Now, one final question... would fixing an already rare knife (although "broken") decrease or increase its value in your opinion? Thanks again!
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

No video. Pictures only. Check with me via email in a month or so.
Repairing the knife properly will increase the value.
steeltoe1978

Post by steeltoe1978 »

Bill DeShivs wrote:No video. Pictures only. Check with me via email in a month or so.
Repairing the knife properly will increase the value.

Understood. Thank you for your time, and I look forward to working with you in the future. :D
BTB0923

Post by BTB0923 »

Steeltoe,

Thanks for posting the video. As a collector who hasn't had the opportunity to see one in person, it's very cool to finally be able to see the action on one of these rare knives. I think the appeal these otfs have is the traditional Italian look that all the modern otf makers have strayed so far from. It's been mentioned in several threads here how exciting it would be for an Italian maker to put an similar style otf back into production, Frank B. in particular.

Don't know if you've had the chance to explore this forum at all, but there is a thread on here that we've been using to post screen stills of all the switchblades that have been captured in movies and television. I believe we are up to almost 300 movies/shows now and only one has had a single action trapdoor otf in it. The Italian giallo, "Lizard in Woman's Skin" (1971). Like many of the movies we've found, it doesn't cast the knife in a particularly "positive light", but interesting nonetheless...

I think documenting the restoration of one of these knives is a great idea if you guys could work it out. Like I mentioned above, seeing the internals would be very cool.
sicboy13

Post by sicboy13 »

[quote="BTB0923"]

this makes me weep. Salty tears of bitter sadness.

Steeltoe, thank you for posting your video, you one lucky sumbitch. I think your idea to have your knife repaired & documented could be very beneficial to everyone. I personally would pay to have one of these beauty's if they were to be made by a modern knife maker. They are just beautiful, and to watch the blade pop out with the press of a button is surely a sight to behold. Beats the thumb slide anyday...

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. - Keyser Soze