Were 1950's switchblades better than the ones sold nowadays?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
sprite

Were 1950's switchblades better than the ones sold nowadays?

Post by sprite »

I have heard and read that the switchblades made in the 1950's were better and more durable and usable than the ones sold nowadays. Is that true? If so, HOW were they better? I heard that one way is that they were built more like Renaissance knives and didn't have cheap springs in them.

What made the springs different? Were they coiled springs or the kind you find in a stiletto now? I only had a Rizutto switchblade so I can't tell you if the ones in the 1950's were different. Mine had a straight spring but I don't know if that is the kind that's cheap or not cheap.

Please post pics if any of you have any 1950's swichblades. I'd like to see as many pics as you have. And please describe why they were better or worse.

Thanks!
:mrgreen:
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: Were 1950's switchblades better than the ones sold nowadays?

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Look at the Blade Pictures forum.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
sprite

Post by sprite »

Could someone at least ATTEMPT to answer my question?
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

HE'S BAAACK!

Here's a tip for you. In the pages of this forum is a wealth of information on this subject and many others. You only have to look for it. How do you think most of us got educated? We did the digging ourselves by reading lots of threads and using advanced search.

I for one do not appreciate newbies coming on here and demanding others do work for them that they are fully capable of doing themselves. Light a fire under your own butt and buckle down. It isn't really that hard and the feeling of accomplishment should spur you to greater achievements.
sprite

Post by sprite »

Natcherly I have been reading the info on this forum for 2 hours now and they most certainly do NOT answer my questions. That is the reason I asked in the first place. Now someone with the answer, please answer me!
dp68

Post by dp68 »

I agree with natcherly on this. Everything you could possibly want to know about knives is here. There is a search feature that works well. Bill did a good job of answering your [u]question[/u]. On the computer forums I belong to you would be told to RTFM, and if you can't find a answer then ask the Question on the forum. I have been able to find most of the answers I need on this forum with search. I suggest you do the same.

dp68
To many knives is not enough!
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Allllll-righty then! I will try to answer your question.

It is mostly a matter of opinion. Perhaps today we have spring tempering to a science(almost)
A comparison- One man likes the 1953 Buick where another likes the newer model.

The steel in the older knives was most likely a better quality than the average Italian stiletto today.
The springs in the older knives were sometimes thicker than today's average stiletto.

I am in no way an expert on old knives and I do not own any switchblade from the 50's but again look at the cost of a Latama from the 50's compared to a modern switchblade.
A 57 Corvette would cost over 3 times what a new Vette would cost but is it better? It's a matter of opinion.

Does this help answer your question?
redeye

Post by redeye »

aw come on is this crap ever gonna stop?hey 7 up or dr pepper or whatever you are you gotta stop coming on here and demanding answers to your posts and quit acting like you are the end all of question askers .evidently you think that anyone who reads your posts should stop what they are doing and immediatly send you an answer.well pal it dont work like that. if you have a question then ask it .BE SPECIFIC questions such as "why are the 1950s switches better"? are not good ones because there are just too many elements to the correct answers and you have shown your lack of patience in the past with the posts you made before about the rizzy that you were hunting . ya gotta calm down man or you will forever be considered a troll and noone will evertake you seriously and then you will never get any answers to you quearies. take some time and READ the posts about what you are trying to find out. you say that you were reading for ovwr two hours well then you have a great start. keep on reading and you will be surpriosed at what you will learn from that,the answers to many of your questions will become clear as you read more and more . there are a lot of knowledgable folks on this forum but to be taken seriously you must act accordingly. let this sink in a while in fact read this post several times BEFORE you respond to it and think a little no a lot about what i have said here tonight and maybe you can become a contributing member here instaed of what most think of you now and that is a very young and immature newbie with a complex about not getting your answers right now. good luck. REDEYE
I am the KING of LATAMA collectors HAHAHAHAHAHAHA {EVIL LAUGH}
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

sprite wrote:Natcherly I have been reading the info on this forum for 2 hours now and they most certainly do NOT answer my questions...
Two whole hours!!! What a huge amount of time you have dedicated to research. I am really surprised you don't know it all by now. Why in that length of time, Einstein developed both the special and general theories of relativity plus found time to repaint his parents house, inside and out, two coats. :roll:
hogwild
Location: Proudly chasing the dollar to "share" with parasites

Post by hogwild »

Aw he just wants a McAnswer at the drive thru.
The worst evils which mankind has ever had to endure were inflicted by bad governments.
Ludwig von Mises
sprite

Post by sprite »

dp68 wrote:I agree with natcherly on this. Everything you could possibly want to know about knives is here. There is a search feature that works well. Bill did a good job of answering your question. On the computer forums I belong to you would be told to RTFM, and if you can't find a answer then ask the Question on the forum. I have been able to find most of the answers I need on this forum with search. I suggest you do the same.

dp68
Then apparently you didn't read my response before you posted fool! I DID read this damn forum before I asked. There weren't ANY answers to my questions! Shit!
sprite

Post by sprite »

Viking45 wrote:Allllll-righty then! I will try to answer your question.

It is mostly a matter of opinion. Perhaps today we have spring tempering to a science(almost)
A comparison- One man likes the 1953 Buick where another likes the newer model.

The steel in the older knives was most likely a better quality than the average Italian stiletto today.
The springs in the older knives were sometimes thicker than today's average stiletto.

I am in no way an expert on old knives and I do not own any switchblade from the 50's but again look at the cost of a Latama from the 50's compared to a modern switchblade.
A 57 Corvette would cost over 3 times what a new Vette would cost but is it better? It's a matter of opinion.

Does this help answer your question?
That answers my questions. Thanks!
sprite

Post by sprite »

redeye wrote:aw come on is this crap ever gonna stop?hey 7 up or dr pepper or whatever you are you gotta stop coming on here and demanding answers to your posts and quit acting like you are the end all of question askers .evidently you think that anyone who reads your posts should stop what they are doing and immediatly send you an answer.well pal it dont work like that. if you have a question then ask it .BE SPECIFIC questions such as "why are the 1950s switches better"? are not good ones because there are just too many elements to the correct answers and you have shown your lack of patience in the past with the posts you made before about the rizzy that you were hunting . ya gotta calm down man or you will forever be considered a troll and noone will evertake you seriously and then you will never get any answers to you quearies. take some time and READ the posts about what you are trying to find out. you say that you were reading for ovwr two hours well then you have a great start. keep on reading and you will be surpriosed at what you will learn from that,the answers to many of your questions will become clear as you read more and more . there are a lot of knowledgable folks on this forum but to be taken seriously you must act accordingly. let this sink in a while in fact read this post several times BEFORE you respond to it and think a little no a lot about what i have said here tonight and maybe you can become a contributing member here instaed of what most think of you now and that is a very young and immature newbie with a complex about not getting your answers right now. good luck. REDEYE
Redeye I didn't demand ANYTHING! A forum is a place to post thoughts AND questions! If I post a question and get no answers I'm going to get mad. Fuck you!
sprite

Post by sprite »

natcherly wrote:
sprite wrote:Natcherly I have been reading the info on this forum for 2 hours now and they most certainly do NOT answer my questions...
Two whole hours!!! What a huge amount of time you have dedicated to research. I am really surprised you don't know it all by now. Why in that length of time, Einstein developed both the special and general theories of relativity plus found time to repaint his parents house, inside and out, two coats. :roll:
Look dumbass. I am not as illiterate as the rest of you. It only takes me 2 hours to read through the whole forum. Trust me, there weren't ANY answers!
sprite

Post by sprite »

hogwild wrote:Aw he just wants a McAnswer at the drive thru.
Do you want a Mc ass whoopin?